Files downloading as zip files

Mario Erodotou

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017
Hi. I want to stop my browsers from downloading files as zip files. I want only normal files. I use internet explorer and Microsoft edge. Any ideas?

Solution
Oh! One more thing to check . I did mention zipping is often done for security purposes too so the file can't execute. Check if you have some sort of antivirus program, it might have as a feature an option to just auto zip every download to prevent this.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What are you downloading specifically? If the download link is provided as a .zip, there's not a lot you can do about it.

They're .zip to compress the size and usually provide numerous files within - IF they were available 'normally', there would be multiple downloads, and take longer. Downloading a .zip and extracting with WinRAR or 7Zip etc is going to be noticeably faster than downloading 'normal' file.s

If it's simply a bug, downloading as .zip when they're not, that used to be a known issue with IE - perhaps it still is. No known workaround AFAIK, short of using an alternative browser.

Mario Erodotou

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017

thanks for your time. This is happening with all the files I tried to install.

Sedivy

Estimable
This reminds me of a feature that used to be standard on a lot of browsers that would in essence unpack your downloads for you automatically and it used to be a default setting. If you got used to this, and it's not doing this anymore it might appear as suddenly everything is a zip. It was changed (on a lot of browsers) at some point for security reasons. I haven't and am still not really using edge so I can't really tell you if it's a feature in it, but I'd look in the settings on options on what to do with files when downloading.
If you for certain that this is not supposed to be a zipped file you're downloading, but it's still doing it, check your OS for any third party software that might be doing this like already mentioned 7-zip or winrar. I know they don't do this by default but again someone might have changed the settings?
I don't see how else it'd be doing this to be honest.

Mario Erodotou

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017

Ok. Ty. I'm gonna check it

Sedivy

Estimable
Oh! One more thing to check . I did mention zipping is often done for security purposes too so the file can't execute. Check if you have some sort of antivirus program, it might have as a feature an option to just auto zip every download to prevent this.

Solution

Mario Erodotou

Prominent
Apr 28, 2017

Ok. Thank you