Microsoft ® Console Based Script Host freezing computer

cthomas032

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017
Hello - a few weeks ago I noticed severe lagging multiple times through the day. When checking task manager, these lags occurred when Microsoft ® Console Based Script Host was active and taking anywhere from 20%-60% of CPU resources. The lag continues for 30-180 seconds, and then Microsoft ® Console Based Script Host leaves the process list and performance goes back to normal. If the process is manually ended, performance goes back to normal immediately. No perceptible ill-effects result from manually ending the process. I now have to manually end the process 5-10 time/day.

To my understanding, this is a process that is called by another program of some sort. I am trying to understand how to identify what is calling this process and how to stop it from doing so.

I have a Dell Latitude E7240 laptop. Intel core i5. 64 bit. Windows 10 Pro. All drivers and OS updates have been applied. Avast Antivirus running and no identified issues.

Any and all help is appreciated... this is so annoying!! Thanks in advance!

Solution
Hi, yes, you can upload the dump file (if its one of those smaller dump files). I'm not sure if I can read it or help with it but I will try. And if I can't, maybe someone else can.

The Microsoft Console Based Script Host executable filename is cscript.exe. For clarity of reading, lets refer to it as cscript.exe. cscript.exe is used to run scripts such as .VBS or .JS files. [More information].

Are you sure you disabled all 3rd party services *and* all software in Task Manager (including Avast)? If so, while in clean boot, the only other 3rd party things running in the background are your drivers. Also while in clean boot, did you run any 3rd party software before cscript.exe started running (such as Google Chrome)?

You said it...

gardenman

Splendid
Hi cthomas, this could be malware, or just a normal program running in the background. I recommend doing a [Clean Boot], which is where you disable all 3rd party services and all 3rd party software that start up with your PC. Instructions from Microsoft are in the link. Be sure you don't disable all services, just the 3rd party services. Leave the Microsoft services running. Do not change any other settings in System Configuration! While in the clean boot, carefully monitor your system to see if you are still having the problem. Note, while in clean boot, you may find some of your normal programs don't work, this is normal.

If you do still see the problem while in clean boot, then it may be a driver problem or malware. I would next recommend trying Malwarebytes 3 (free version).

If you don't see the problem in clean boot, then the problem is being caused by one of the programs or services that you disabled for the clean boot. Re-enable the programs / services a few at a time until you discover what is causing the problem. Start with the most suspicious. (I would re-enable all services first, then if you don't have the problem, start re-enabling the startup software a few a time.) Once you discover the problem software/service, you can either leave it disabled, or look for an update or search for some way to fix the problem.

cthomas032

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017

Hi gardenman. Thank you so much for the very detailed troubleshooting. I performed the clean boot and still experienced the issue, almost immediately upon restart in fact. I then downloaded and ran malwarebyes (threat scan). It did find 2 PUPs, which I quarantined and removed, however after restarting the issue was still present.

Any additional troubleshooting thoughts? Yesterday, while Microsoft ® Console Based Script Host was active in task manager, I did right-click and generated a dump file. I can provide this if it is helpful (I dont know what to do with it otherwise). Thanks again in advance!

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, yes, you can upload the dump file (if its one of those smaller dump files). I'm not sure if I can read it or help with it but I will try. And if I can't, maybe someone else can.

The Microsoft Console Based Script Host executable filename is cscript.exe. For clarity of reading, lets refer to it as cscript.exe. cscript.exe is used to run scripts such as .VBS or .JS files. [More information].

Are you sure you disabled all 3rd party services *and* all software in Task Manager (including Avast)? If so, while in clean boot, the only other 3rd party things running in the background are your drivers. Also while in clean boot, did you run any 3rd party software before cscript.exe started running (such as Google Chrome)?

You said it runs for several seconds before quitting. Consider trying [Process Explorer] and when you see the cscript.exe running, try to find out what is running it. Process Explorer is from Microsoft, it's free, and doesn't require an installation (simply unzip run).

The cscript.exe that is running should be located in either the C:\Windows\System32 or the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folders. If it is not, then it might still be a virus. If you see it running in Process Explorer, you can right click on it and choose Properties to see where it's located. It may actually show you the script filename that is being run too (look under Properties / Image / Command Line). That info could be very useful.

Another place to look would be in the Task Scheduler. Open it and on the right be sure that Enable All Tasks History is turned on. This will then create a log file in the center of the window will tasks are run. The cscript.exe may be running through a task.

I hope some of this info helps. Reply back with what you discover.

Solution