Need a monitor with freesync and a monitor arm

KevinNYC

Reputable
Dec 19, 2016
Hey,

So I already have my PC with an RX 580 and I am going to have to buy a monitor for it. I saw some benchmarks and saw that it could get 90-100+ fps on most games in 1080p. Now I'm looking for a monitor which has freesync and 144hz. Do you have a reccomendation? Or do you have on of your own? Please tell me about it then. I also want a reasonable price for it, maximum around $300.
And as you probably already saw in the title, I also need a monitor arm to save space on my desk (also it just looks nicer). If you have a recommendation on that, it would also be nice. I'm looking for a single monitor arm.

Thanks in advance!

KevinNYC

Reputable
Dec 19, 2016

I would do that but, my uncle bought the card in the US and brought it to the Netherlands (where I live). And cryptocurrency mining became a thing after he got here. Plus it doesn't seem to be a thing here in the Netherlands (which absolutely sucks), and if I sell it on eBay, the shipping costs would probably drain a fairly large part of the profit, if I have to ship it all the way to the US.

KevinNYC

Reputable
Dec 19, 2016

Also, currently (with the RX580), I'm looking for a 1920x1080 monitor, tn panel, since ips is too expensive and tn has 1ms response, 144hz and freesync more common.

Oh well, there's an opportunity lost. ;)

I don't have any Dutch links (I'm in the UK) so I'll just give some general advice on what to look for.

Freesync is a open standard, unlike Gsync, so different monitors support a different Freesync range, cheap ones usually only work at about 40Hz to 75Hz, the more expensive ones have a full 40-144Hz range.

Freesync displays don't usually work much below 40Hz (below this they revert to normal Vsync behaviour).

Unless you're really, really serious about every millisecond of response even the 'slow' 5Ms IPS panels are still brilliant for gaming.

As for size 24" is best for 1080 rez, 27" is really a little too big, everything looks a little jagged, forcing you to use higher levels of AA than would be needed on a smaller display, which obviously cuts down the frame rate.

KevinNYC

Reputable
Dec 19, 2016

I'm not that worried about the response time on IPS panels, it's more the price attached to it.
I was going for a 24" already.
And I looked up Amazon.co.uk, but RX580s there don't seem to be around 500 either.
I could ship it to the US, it costs 36 euros and selling on eBay, you have to give %10 of the money you earned to eBay itself. So if I sell it for 500, -50 for eBay, -36 for shipping, I'm left with 414 euros. I bought my RX580 for 275 dollars, that's 241.64 euros, so 414 - 241.64 = 172.36 profit.
With the additional money I could buy a gtx 1070 max, since the prices in the Netherlands are absolutely sh* t.

KevinNYC

Reputable
Dec 19, 2016

What PC do you have and what monitor?
And if I got a GTX 1080/1070 what monitor would you recommend then? 2560x1440? 100hz? G-Sync (way too expensive) And how about ultrawides? Are they worth it for gaming?