3rd world (monitor) problems

Damighty

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017
Ignore the pun of a title, I have 3 monitors set up, working perfectly fine but the last two days my third Monitor (connects to a gtx 970 via displayed port to hdmi active adapter then through a hdmi splitter has decided to stop working, the pc detects the monitor I just cannot get s display on it... Anyone able to shed some light to help me get it functional?

Monitor has been working fine for last few months but just randomly stopped but still works, under display settings it shows it as a minor that is tiny compared to the other two.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
That's an interesting setup. Have you tried removing the splitter from the equation just to rule that out?

Given it's randomly occurred, does that correspond with any driver updates performed by chance?

Also, I don't believe an "active" DP to HDMI adapter is/was required, passive would be fine. You're still running a digital signal, just (essentially) replacing he connector at the end.

"tiny compared to the other two."
Sounds like the resolution is set too low.
Also, try a different refresh rate. (and it's not at 60Hz set it to 60)
The computer attempting to send the wrong refresh rate will cause the monitor to display nothing but it would still be detected as is your case.

I would test using as little cables, adapters and connectors as possible.
(Try 1 HDMI cable [no adapters or splitters] on just that monitor and see if you get anything.)

Damighty

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017
@barty I have removed it yes, I have it as I also use that monitor for a play station 3.

No updates were performed, the monitor turned on... I enter windows 10 password and it turned itself off... I only had an active adapter as I used to have an amd card and eyefinity requires active

InvalidError

Titan
Maybe the display actually died.

The only thing telling the GPU that a display is attached is the ability to read the Display ID chip on the monitor. In some monitors, that chip is powered by the 5V source on the display cable and Windows would still "detect" the display even if you smashed it as many times as you want with a sledge hammer, as long as you don't break the connection between the DID chip and the DVI/HDMI port.

Damighty

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017
@dark the monitor won't turn on, won't allow me to adjust any settings also if I switch the monitors around with cables same issue with other Monitor so the monitor itself works fine

Damighty

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017
Update it has just randomly turned back on... I launched rocket league and boom it came back.... Still with all the adapters in place and nothing altered...