Windows 10 kernel missing

aaronjk99

Reputable
Aug 21, 2016
I recently built a computer from scratch, nothing fancy, just for office use. After struggling to get Windows 10 Pro installed, it now will not boot into Windows 10 Pro. Every time I turn the system on I get a BSOD saying that the ntoskrnl.exe is missing or contains errors.
File name: :\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Error code: 0xc0000221
I've tried using the Windows repair disc and it just says it can't do anything.
I've tried reinstalling it with no luck.
I've also tried replacing the RAM.
I've looked all over the internet but everything I see is people that have the system working and it crashes during use, this thing won't even load into Windows.
Can anyone can shed some light on the problem?

Problem solved, turned out to be a faulty hard drive.

Solution
Bug Check 0xC0000221: STATUS_IMAGE_CHECKSUM_MISMATCH

I would check/replace the sata cable. You might also try and putting the data cable on a different sata controller/port. files are being corrupted as the are being transferred from storage. It could be the drive, the data cable, even a bad connection on a power cable can make and break a connection several times a second. generally the bugcheck suberror code can help but it would most likely show an io error
Hello aaronjk99

Can you please check and confirm if your BIOS is updated? If not, doing so can solve the issue. However, before updating, please make sure to backup your current BIOS to avoid any future troubles.

Also, since you had trouble installing Windows initially, please check and confirm if you obtained the installation media from a Trusted Source, and that you followed the Correct Method to Install the operating system on your computer.

Please report back with with the results for any further assistance.

Cheers!! :)

aaronjk99

Reputable
Aug 21, 2016

Hi viveknayyar007,

I've tried updating the BIOS, which went perfectly fine, however it didn't solve the issue, but I do get a different file that's missing, it's now a driver called evbda.sys along with the error code 0xc000022. It also says that CEA.sys is missing as well.

I can confirm that the installation media was from the Microsoft website, using the media creation tool.

I built two of these computers, exact same spec, one works and the other doesn't, I used the same installation media and for some reason, the issue only occurred on one of the computers.

Thanks.

Bug Check 0xC0000221: STATUS_IMAGE_CHECKSUM_MISMATCH

I would check/replace the sata cable. You might also try and putting the data cable on a different sata controller/port. files are being corrupted as the are being transferred from storage. It could be the drive, the data cable, even a bad connection on a power cable can make and break a connection several times a second. generally the bugcheck suberror code can help but it would most likely show an io error

Solution