Monitors Initializing Hibernation Mode Unwarranted

Alex Hoofer

Honorable
Jun 30, 2017
Hello! I've been having this problem for some time now. I've tried searching online and have found similar situations but the posts are either too vague that I am not sure if it's the same problem I'm having or the solution was equally as vague and I wasn't sure (or I have tried) if it's the right solution for me (e.g. buying a new monitor...like, why?).

I have two identical Spectre monitors, both outputting via HDMI cable but only one as the input. The other uses a D-HDMI or Display Port (whatever that pseudo-HDMI-looking plug is called) adaptor. Both are connected to the main display ports behind my computer. I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 and I am adamant in ensuring the driver is up-to-date, using the GeForce Experience to notify me of updates and installing them right away. I don't know if this is pertinent in this instance, but I have an AMD FX-6300 Six-Core Processor running 3.50 GHz, 8GB RAM, and a 64-bit OS with a x64-based processor. Aside from the graphics card, these are the specs I purchased my computer with and it has worked ever since -- I have had this computer for about a year now.

The Problem: When I turn my computer on, everything is fine. My monitors are constantly on; when the computer is off, they are on standby. My computer turns on and the monitors activate; I sign in; I see my desktop; everything works as it should. If I do not touch my keyboard or mouse for, oh, say, about 3-5 minutes, my monitors initiate sleep mode. Now, when this first started happening a few weeks ago, of course my first instinct was to ensure the display/power settings were set to never sleep regardless of power restrictions ..and they were -- as they have been since I first bought the computer. I did a quick search to see what could be the cause of something like this and saw results like "make sure the power cables are fully secure" or "monitors may be overhearing" or "display cables may be loose". I checked each one of those solutions, positive those weren't the problem, and sure enough...they weren't. When the problem continued occurring, I tried a more archaic method and set my screen saver to activate after something like 9999 minutes, as I figured if it had been that the monitors were overheating, that's what the screen saver is for and something I did must have caused the screen saver to activate and react to such problem. Well, when that solution did not work as well, I gave up. My temporary fix: don't let my computer idle for that long. If you're reading comprehension skills are above average, you may have thought it odd that I specified earlier if I were to "not touch my keyboard or mouse" the screen hibernates rather than simply saying letting my computer idle for that long. Well, just recently, I've decided to go back into playing The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition on my computer, with which, I use a corded Xbox One controller plugged into the front USB 2.0 port. I tell you: nothing is more frustrating than being in the middle of a battle with the guards of a city (don't ask why) and suddenly your screens go black. Instinctually, I pressed pause and heard that the game did indeed pause. So, it was not that my computer was idling as there was clearly a lot of stuff happening at the time, from input from a peripheral to things happening on the computer like images and memory usage and all that. Oh, not to mention this also happens when I’m watching YouTube videos, Netflix shows, pretty much anything. You know, when it most definitely shouldn’t happen. Now, just as you’d imagine with monitors entering hibernation mode, all it takes is a little input from either the mouse or keyboard; sometimes a little nudge of the mouse or hitting the spacebar awakens it after 1-2 seconds. Sometimes, as I’ve noticed mostly when playing Skyrim, or other games, for that matter, it will seem like it is going to wake then continue the hibernation process and display the connection type on the screens. Sometimes it won’t even be evident that it is attempting to wake up; I can only tell it is because the flashing indicator light on my monitors go from flashing to static then start flashing again. It has become very irritating!
When I think it started: This computer came pre-installed with Windows 10. I appreciate update versions of everything regardless of what people say about it. And, as I’ve said before, though there have been other situations and problems, they were eventually fixed. One recurring problem analogous to Windows 10 that I’ve had to fix a few times was the inability to sign in to Windows/Microsoft applications (e.g. the Windows Store, the Xbox App). Signing in to those things opens up a pop-up window with which you are supposed to sign in. Often times, there has been this problem where when the pop-up is supposed to pop up, it flickers on screen for a millisecond to a second, on rare occasions 2 or 3 seconds, before closing, having done nothing. Furthermore, those aforementioned “rare occasions” are proceeded with those millisecond flashes everytime I click log in. Anyway, that’s a different problem with, hopefully, an entirely different solution. The solution having been for all instances was to alter the registry entries in one way or another. Window’s Powershell was mentioned a few times; regedit was mentioned; opening the command prompt in administrator and using some long-winded commanded to bypass this in order to access that and clear the third. This last time, however, things did seem to have to involve a lot more bypassing and did seem a bit more contrived. Though the problem was fixed, it did seem after that was when the problem with my monitors began happening. I may be making farfetched correlations and may or may not be forgetting something else I might have done in between, but I still don’t think any of that should have affected my monitors hibernating when they were expressly informed not to.
If you have any further questions, please ask! I will try my best to answer! (Please note I currently do not have internet access on this computer; our ISP suspended our service because, well…we can’t pay them. My computer does not have wi-fi caps; it is connected via ethernet cable. I am posting this on my phone. If a solution involves downloading something or installing something, I suppose feel free to suggest it but I cannot do that at the moment.) This problem is getting out of hand! Please help!

P.S.: Whenever I’m listening to music, the screens will hibernate but that does not stop the music. I don’t know if that’s a testament towards my music player (Foobar 2000) or, as I recall hibernation mode/screen savers terminating/pausing music, a sign of just how odd this situation is, but that’s a little interesting thing to consider.
Addendum: Okay, so, as I was typing this, I was listening to music on my computer, passing the time as I had planned to play Skyrim after having finished typing this on my phone. Everything was pretty much set for me to start playing and, recently, I had started looking into overclocking my…whatever I overclock. GPU, memory… still working out what it is I’m doing. Well, whatever I’ve been doing has not overheated my computer. In fact, did a little research and asked some computer friends and I was using some recommended settings. In MSI Afterburner I had my Memory Clock at 250 and the Core Clock at 320. Didn’t seem too bad. Well, as I was typing the beginning of this post on my phone, listening to music on my computer with the Foobar 2000 player, my screens decided to hibernate, as usual…only this time…my computer crashed! The music froze up like a broken NES game; my left monitor displayed a black screen (I believe this one is the one connected via HDMI-to-Display Port); the right monitor displayed a blue screen. Not the blue screen of death, thank goodness! Just a blue screen, again, reminiscent to an NES (Nintendo Entertainment System, in case someone was unaware…you never know) messing up and glitching out. This was the first time that has happened and that was pretty much all the parameters and variables of that instance. Overclocking slightly, listening to music, but was just sat on my desktop. I think Steam may had been opened but minimized so as to initialize Skyrim afterwards…though probably not even that. It was definitely odd and…I’ve had my monitors sleep while overclocking before (I started trying this out a few days ago) and even while playing a game, and it had never done that.

Solution
can you please use paragraphs? It´s nice you wrote all this informations, but it´s very exhausting reading this.

First, which pre-built PC is it? Brand and exact model please. Which BIOS version is currently on the motherboard (enter BIOS to have a look)?

which gtx 1080 brand and exact model is it?

do you have to use adapters to power the gtx 1080 via the power supply?

use ddu uninstaller and delete all previously installed graphics drivers. Reinstall the latest from nvidia.com, don´t install geforce experience with it. It can help sometimes, but I have very bad experiences with it.

run 3dmark timespy (it´s free, don´t use steam, because it´s very complicated to get the free basic edition there), after you ran the benchmark click...
can you please use paragraphs? It´s nice you wrote all this informations, but it´s very exhausting reading this.

First, which pre-built PC is it? Brand and exact model please. Which BIOS version is currently on the motherboard (enter BIOS to have a look)?

which gtx 1080 brand and exact model is it?

do you have to use adapters to power the gtx 1080 via the power supply?

use ddu uninstaller and delete all previously installed graphics drivers. Reinstall the latest from nvidia.com, don´t install geforce experience with it. It can help sometimes, but I have very bad experiences with it.

run 3dmark timespy (it´s free, don´t use steam, because it´s very complicated to get the free basic edition there), after you ran the benchmark click on compare results online and post the link which comes up inside your browser

Solution

Daymusik

Prominent
Jun 30, 2017

I had paragraphs; I don't know what happened to them. I guess next time I'll double space them just to be sure.

It's an ABS Dreadnought computer, ALA001. Don't know if that's the model number but it's right next to the name. Then there's "ALA001BU160104039".

As for the BIOS version, it says, next to "BIOS Version", "Main: F2 / Backup: F2".

The GTX 1080 is a Zotac. Should just be the base NVIDIA GTX 1080. Also forgot to mention I had to get a new power supply. I have a Cougar CMX 1000W power supply.

Everything was connected directly to the motherboard. As this was my first time upgrading a computer's parts, I made sure to connect everything where the predecessors were connected just to be sure, so no adaptors were involved.

Whenever I get Internet service again, I'll try checking that. [strike]And, yeah, sorry about the length of the post. As a freelance writer, I tend to get very descriptive.[/strike]