Nov 21, 2015
Hi everyone,

My spec
Windows 10 64 bit
Zotac gtx 970 4gb
Intel Core i5-4670k @ 3.4GHz overclocked to 4.2Ghz
16 GB RAM
Samsung 500gb evo ssd

Do you think my Intel Core i5-4670k @ 3.4GHz overclocked to 4.2Ghz is starting to hold me back? If so what would you recommend for a straight swap/upgrade?

Thanks! Rich

Maarsch

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2012
Depends on what you do with it.

But, yeah. It's still a very good CPU that shouldn't really be holding you back (bar for a number of specific uses such as video editing or streaming where it should still do OK).

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
If your gaming there are a handful of titles that will bottleneck you. BF1, Watch Dogs 2, Ghost Recon Wildlands that will use every core/thread you have. these games could cause you issues; however, as a whole an i5 4670K is still a very solid CPU and should continue to be for at least another year, maybe more. Going with an i 7 4790K would buy your PC some more longevity in gaming say another 3-5 years so an upgrade certainly isn't unreasonable either. Plus buying that CPU now still makes it easy to find in retail. You could wait or buy it used and you may or may not say money depending out how popular it remains long term. But yes you i5 is still ok.

I have the same cpu OC'd to 4.3ghz and use a GTX780. I also cap my fps at 60fps. I'm finding in newer games its very near 100%, even some games that are 2 years old use over 80% (Project Cars, BO3). So while its ok now its clearly coming to the point in the near future that it will prevent me from maintaining 60fps in all games, I reckon PC2 will be the game that pushes me to a new platform.

Richkc

Honorable
Nov 21, 2015
I use my pc for gaming, BF1 runs at a smooth 60fps to be honest. But its really well optimized. But I'm playing SQUAD which drops to 50 quite a lot which is annoying.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

With BF the complaint of bottlenecking I most frequently see is the large 64 player servers. Some folks have issues in less demanding situations though and others like you claim zero issues with maintaining 60FPS. The larger point is that 4C/4T CPUs for gaming are past their hay-day. Not to say they are not capable CPUs, it is just come to a point in time we are finally seeing bottlenecking in 4C/4T CPUs that has been predicted for years. It just took much longer then the fanboys said it would is all.

Richkc

Honorable
Nov 21, 2015
If I was to buy a i7 4790K, would this be a simple straight swap? Sorry not the best on computers! thanks

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

It may require you flashing your BIOs but yes it is a drop in solution. Check your motherboards supported CPUs to see if you need to flash your bios. If flashing your bios is a not go then a 4770K is your only other K series option. I encourage you to go with the i7 4790K and just flash you bios if needed.