PC suddenly won't detect USB device

Xenoraiser

Commendable
May 26, 2017
I have an SD-to-USB device that I use when wanting to transfer photos from my SD card to my computer. I just built this computer a month ago and used this device successfully to view and upload a few photos. I used the same SD card in my camera today, put it into the device and plugged the device into the same USB port as before (along with three others on my PC) and now it won't let me access the card/device.

It won't show up in File Explorer, but if I go to Device Manager and Disk Manager it shows up as Generic Storage USB Device and says "No Media" under the latter (I've made sure the SD card isn't locked). I've disabled and re-enabled it, checked for updated drivers, uninstalled the device and plugged it back in to try and re-install it.

Now when I go to Devices and Printers under Control Panel it shows up as USB Storage. If I try to browse the files the folder (P disc) is simply grayed out. When I select Troubleshooting it says USB mass storage device can't work properly with USB 3.0, which makes no sense because I plugged it into the exact same USB slot as before.

Any possible solutions? Pretty frustrated.

Solution
Used to happen to my USB mouse and fixed it. Imagine being in-game and you mouse stops working all of a sudden.

Go to device manager and locate "Universal Serial Bus Controllers"
Expand it and do the following for each one of them.
Right click and click Properties. Go to Power Management tab and uncheck all boxes.

If you see you device under Human Interface Devices in the device manager do the same.

If the problem persists search "edit power plan" in start. Click on change advanced power settings. Expand USB Settings and make sure "USB selective suspend setting" is disabled.

Hope that helped. Your computer basically turns the USB port off to save power. Please note your power consumption will increase though nothing noticeable.

mbilal2

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Used to happen to my USB mouse and fixed it. Imagine being in-game and you mouse stops working all of a sudden.

Go to device manager and locate "Universal Serial Bus Controllers"
Expand it and do the following for each one of them.
Right click and click Properties. Go to Power Management tab and uncheck all boxes.

If you see you device under Human Interface Devices in the device manager do the same.

If the problem persists search "edit power plan" in start. Click on change advanced power settings. Expand USB Settings and make sure "USB selective suspend setting" is disabled.

Hope that helped. Your computer basically turns the USB port off to save power. Please note your power consumption will increase though nothing noticeable.

Solution

nancyrobert2011

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015
Unplug Computer

Simply unplug your computer from the power supply. Yes that is it! Note that this does not mean just turning off your computer using the power button
first turn off your computer using the Shut Down option in Windows or pressing the power button and then UNPLUG the PC from the wall outlet. Let it sit for several minutes and then plug it back in.

Update Device Driver

you may also see in Device Manager that the device shows up as an “Unknown Device”. You can get to Device Manager by clicking on Start and typing in devmgmt.msc or by going to Control Panel and clicking on Device Manager.

unknown usb device

In that case, you should right-click on Unknown Device, click on Properties, then the Driver tab and then click Update Driver.