How do you get HDDs with drivers and OS pre-installed?

The_tech_guy

Commendable
Apr 1, 2017
Is there any website that I can buy HDDs with drivers and OS already downloaded, Or could I buy a USB connection cable and hook it up to a different computer than the one I want it on and download it through that? Will that cause a problem when I hook it up to the motherboard I want it on in the end?

With Windows, you boot installation media, and it installs the drivers depending on what hardware is available. You cannot freely move hard drives with already installed Windows and expect it to work. On top of that, such a website will be against Microsoft' Terms of Service.

I still can't get what is your problem.
- you buy Windows license, then go to Microsoft, download media creation tool, create USB or DVD disk with install
- you plug this USB or DVD into your new PC, and stard installation

JaredDM

Honorable
Then just buy a Windows license and install it when you're done building. It'll find most the drivers it needs, and anything else you need you can download and install after you've got Windows.

Actually, with Windows 10 it is now possible to migrate a drive between computers and have it boot, but it's still not the recommended method. Much better to do a fresh install.

And, no, there is no one selling legitimate licenses of Windows "pre-installed' on hard drives. Anyone offering this is just pirating software for you.

jpe1701

Honorable
I think you guys have the op wrong. They just need a little help knowing how to do it. There are a couple different legitimate ways to do it. You can buy windows 10 from newegg or amazon on a usb drive and then simply install it, or you can use the microsoft website already pointed out and download it to a usb drive and install it on the computer and then after you log in you can purchase a license from the microsoft store. either way windows will find the drivers for your components for basic functionality but you will have to go to the vendors website for your motherboard drivers like audio and lan drivers. for video card you will have to download them from nvidia or amd depending on what you buy.