SATA and optical drives vanished.

My_Vendetta

Prominent
Jun 30, 2017
Hello everyone,

This is the first custom build I've done in 6 years and it's been a nightmare from the start.

I have installed Windows 10 x64 on a Samsung 960 evo m.2 without issue. Booted into windows and configured the other SATA drives I had in the machine (WD 1TB HHD and Samsung 850 SSD). I popped in the Gigabyte disk that came with my motherboard (GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X Gaming (Rev. 1.0 -- Bios updated to Z20). Restarted and then all my SATA drives vanished along with my optical, not even my external HDD will show up now.

I have unplugged all sata's, switched ports, double checked all power (Optical drive come out when pressed open tray button), Open disk management and it only shows my M.2. that has windows 10 on it. When I check in Bios under the Sata configuration I see "Not installed". I have went to GIGABYTE website and downloaded all SATA related drivers that I could see and think would fix this issue.

I have worked on this issue all day and I am just out of options. Any help would be great. If I could avoid resetting the Bios that would be great because I have a Kaby Lake and with this Mobo it's a pain in the ass to get back to F20 since I don't have a Skylake to update it.

Thanks in advance!

shag00

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Sounds like it could be a controller issue rather than a drive issue, you might try re-installing those (ATA Controller), not sure if that board has 1 or 2.

shag00

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I just re-read your initial post and noticed that these drives are not shown in BIOS so that may suggest faulty cables or a faulty drive board. Try booting with just one SATA device on different ports then try another SATA device on different ports. See if you can get BIOS to recognise one of them.

My_Vendetta

Prominent
Jun 30, 2017
After days of troubleshooting I finally figured it out. I removed the CMOS, waited 10 secs and put it back in. Everything works now.

Thanks for the help Shag00