Headphones go to full volume randomly

matharoo

Commendable
Dec 18, 2016
So I have these USB headphones that are so loud that I have to keep it under 20% most of the times. I don't use them 24/7 so sometimes when I pick them up to use them, I'll see that the sound is coming out at full volume, though if I check it in Windows, the sound is still what it was (like under 20%). Then I change the volume a bit up or low and back and then it's back to low.

What's the problem and how can I solve it? I'm now really afraid of using my headphones that it might go up to full volume again. This never happened in W7 but only in 10.

Thanks.

Solution
USB headphones errors probobly occur from a bad driver, one of windows 10s specialties is bad drivers. Without the headphones plugged in, If you go into device manager and delete the driver for your headphones, then restart your computer, and plug the headphones back in, it will reinstall the drivers which may solve the problem. Let me know if you don't know how to delete a driver.

matharoo

Commendable
Dec 18, 2016
Someone please help? I can't just not use these headphones, and I got a full volume blast into my ears again. Please help me find the issue!

This time it happened when I closed AC 4 Black Flag. The volume was fine, and after I closed it, I opened another application, and that application started playing at full volume. But no, don't think that it's that application since I just downloaded it today.

So maybe it has something to do with AC 4? Or maybe it's just something random or something else that's not AC 4? Because this happens daily and I play AC 4 daily but I haven't noted down or remembered much data to ascertain if AC 4 is the culprit or not.

Please help.

matharoo

Commendable
Dec 18, 2016
Now it's happening more quickly, like once a few minutes, when the volume goes up again. I didn't run AC 4 after that but it's still happening, I don't know what it is.

Jdmawesome

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017
USB headphones errors probobly occur from a bad driver, one of windows 10s specialties is bad drivers. Without the headphones plugged in, If you go into device manager and delete the driver for your headphones, then restart your computer, and plug the headphones back in, it will reinstall the drivers which may solve the problem. Let me know if you don't know how to delete a driver.

Solution

joedoc29

Prominent
Oct 12, 2017
I have the same issue using the 3.5 mm jack. I will pause music playing on WMP then when I resume, even after just a few seconds, BAM - SO MUCH LOUDER! It's not jumping to 100%, more like 50% while I'm listening at a level of 25%. So after playing around with different levels between 5% and 25%, it appears to be playing back at twice the original level. The meter on the volume does not change, but I have to hurry to lower the volume, and as soon as I do, it jumps right back to original level. I've just noticed this problem since the "Which device did you just plug in?" box began to appear.

Anyone else experiencing this issue? My guess is that it's driver related but I cannot change it since I'm not an admin on my work computer.