want to upgrade my GPU for an older PC, need help choosing

AceFalcon

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
hello
recently I got a new monitor as a gift, Acer Predator XB271HU, but, my PC is 3 generations old:
I7 4770K
16GB DDR3 1600HZ
GTX 770 2G

now for the new monitor i decided i should upgrade my GPU, but since my PC is a bit old, i dont know which GPU i should pick.

1080 and 1080TI will probably bottleneck, i dont mind having one of those if the bottleneck is minimal [and if so, which?].

anyway I need some advice, what would you recommend me do?
thank you

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
A 1050ti is slower than his existing GTX 770.

A Haswell or even an Ivy Bridge i7 is still an excellent CPU - the big CPU jump was really from Nehalem to Sandy Bridge, with improvements since then being incremental. For a 1440p high framerate monitor, you'd be fine with a 1080ti or a 1080.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Well if they want to take advantage of their 800 dollar monitor the 1050 ti is not a good choice.

Neither a 1080 or 1080 ti will bottleneck that cpu significantly if at all depending on the game, the 4770k is still a very powerful cpu. If you can find a 1080 or 1080 ti for a decent price go for it but gpu prices are way up right now due to the latest bit coin mining craze. If all else fails you can still buy a founders card directly from nvidias website for a okay price.

If you're expecting 144 FPS or higher at 2560x1440 display resolution you'll only reach that on very few games with a single overclocked GeForce GTX 1080 Ti card unless you turn down a lot of the eye candy.

AceFalcon

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
thank you all for the help.
I guess i'll listen to your advice and get a new 1080TI, does it matter if it would be overclocked or not? since the answers about the bottleneck are mixed.
should i invest my money on an overclocked 1080TI?

I'm referring to factory overclocked cards like the ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Ti AMP Extreme 11 GB [ZT-P10810C-10P] where the performance is 5% better on average than the reference design (a.k.a. Founders Edition) card.

If your budget can handle it then definitely get a factory overclocked card because they run cooler and quieter than the reference design card.

My two cents:

1. Your cpu is still very good and should be able to run anything.

2. If you upgrade a GTX770, make it a big jump.
Your thoughts on GTX1080 or GTX1080ti are about right.
I would not chase the very highest factory overclocked cards.
You mostly will get what you pay for at any price point.
My choice would be one of the evga SC cards.
If you have the budget for either, go for the GTX1080ti.
Otherwise you may second guess yourself.