Powerline network - upload WAY faster than download

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elamderek5743

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014
I'm using Netgear Powerline 1200 adapters to connect my desktop to the internet, because the router is downstairs on the other end of the house, with a huge brick fireplace in between so wi-fi is terrible in my bedroom.
We have a 1Gbps symmetric (1g up, 1g down) fiber connection. With ethernet straight into the router, I get 750mbps download. But with the powerline adapters I am only getting ~30mbps down, tops. Sometimes it will spike to 50 or more, other times it will struggle to get 10. The strange part is that while I get 30mbps download, I am getting over 150mbps upload. The connection light on the adapter is usually red.
What would cause the upload to be so much faster than download?
My powerline adapter is in the wall outlet with the power strip for my PC plugged into the passthrough outlet.
Nothing else is plugged into the circuit except my alarm clock, a lamp, and a small LED TV.
My room has its own circuit breaker, so there shouldn't be any unknown interference.
The other adapter is in a wall socket in the basement near the router, with nothing else plugged into that outlet.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Jay from Jayz2cents explains this well enough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDt77CBoZxY

you don't have to watch the whole thing just the first half.

The basic understanding of this is the distance between your router/modem and the device you are connecting.
also, due to how your house/apartment was wired up can effect things as well. try different outlets and try to configure everything so that you can get as close to the source as possible. if you need to, go and buy an ethernet cable that's really long like a 50ft cable and run that from the room with your modem/router to another room and outlet that would have a lesser straight line distance to the room with your device. (or run that ethernet cable from the powerline adapter being plugged into an outlet that's outside of your room and closer to the source, either way)
but try some different outlets and also if it's possible to hook up your modem/router in another room that could get it closer to your user device do that in order to reduce the distance.

Elamderek5743

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014

We only have the one cat5e jack in the basement running to the ONT/modem outside, so we can't really move the router.
I have tried the outlet in the hallway a few feet down and got 85mbps down.
My biggest question is why would I get an upload speed that is 5X faster than the download speed? Is that a case of there being more noise on the PC side than the router side?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
not sure. could be. there is definitely noise of some sort though. If you have a cable that can reach to that outlet down the hall then use it otherwise go ahead and get a 50ft cable (or longer if needed) Check out monoprice. I got a cat6e one from them and I have been satisfied with it for a long time now. you can also just look around on amazon as well. it shouldn't be more than $15 and you might be able to find one for less. black is going to be one of the cheapest with white being the second cheapest. any other colors will cost a little more. but get one that is a color that will blend with the wall/floor so you can run it along the edge into the room where your PC is. and if the next outlet further down the hall would have even better connection and is within that 50ft length from your computer in your room then try that one out. also, on top of that you can get another router and then connect it to the ethernet cable running into your PC room and then have a router in there for wifi as well as hard line devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.