Adapters (dvi,hdmi,dp) which ones require explicit support from hardware?

Lapsio

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014
I have Eizo EV2335w and it's a real pain [censored] when used with non-desktop or non-PC. I used to use it with PC and everything was fine bc desktop gpus always have DVI or DP. However now I took it to work and struggle is real.

This monitor has 3 inputs - DVI, DP and VGA. VGA is out of question because nobody buys photo editing grade monitor to use with VGA. And most of my devices have only HDMI outputs.

I tried with DP - HDMI adapters dozen of times but none of them worked. It's probably because those 2 are completely different kinds of signal (universal data vs picture&audio) so I guess indeed it could result in some trouble. But what about HDMI - DVI? Do they also require explicit support in device? I'm not sure which side has to "support" adapter but Laptop is Clevo W110ER and has one VGA and one HDMI. It's i7-3632qm integrated intel HD that handles I/o

Lapsio

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014
A lot of colleagues at work use DP -> HDMI with no problem but all adapters I've seen are really explicit about "TO". it's always explicit arrow DP -> HDMI and even manuals always stated "DP computer, HDMI receiver" I never actually found explicit HDMI -> DP adapter anywhere. Combined with fact that DP is more "modern" so laptops are much more likely to actually support DP -> HDMI natively and that I believe active adapters are unidirectional it kind of makes sense that it didn't work with any of 4 tested adapters (3 adapters, 1 cable).

Ok I'll try HDMI DVI then and report results.