I wanted to share (and what's your favorite book?)

DeskTopBro

Prominent
Jun 20, 2017
After my first computer build, I started learning how to fix my vehicle. I had a broken tail gate and tail light. Total cost for parts was 16$. I looked up bringing my vehicle to the dealership and the average cost was over 150$. Not including the tail gate.

Saving money, learning something new, and developing a skill. I'll likely fix little things only, but there's this feeling of satisfaction I wanted to share.

I'll add a question. What is your favorite book on mechanics? I have a 2003 Toyota Tundra if you have any recommendations for me.

Solution
Haynes has repair manuals for just about every vehicle. At least that was what I got back in the day. Now you can usually find different repair manuals online or watch vids of people doing it. But they were full step by step guides with pictures to completely teardown and rebuild the whole vehicle.

For any gearhead, if you haven't seen them, there are a ton of these old 30's instructional vids around on youtube. I haven't seen some of these on this playlist but just examples. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLI7lqC4ZBnInJOAwogQJtSq4UQu69Pjj4

Deniedstingray

Honorable
Nov 2, 2015
It is honestly amazing what learning pc building does for DIY confidence. I had never really done anything too crazy before i built my pc. Its nice not getting scammed by crappy computer shops out to make a quick buck off clueless people.

I recently bought my first car and the first thing that needs changing is the Alternator. Ive figured out how to do it and now i just need the part. Its amazing.

(Unfortunately i dont have a book for you D: )

Haynes has repair manuals for just about every vehicle. At least that was what I got back in the day. Now you can usually find different repair manuals online or watch vids of people doing it. But they were full step by step guides with pictures to completely teardown and rebuild the whole vehicle.

For any gearhead, if you haven't seen them, there are a ton of these old 30's instructional vids around on youtube. I haven't seen some of these on this playlist but just examples. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLI7lqC4ZBnInJOAwogQJtSq4UQu69Pjj4

Solution

halflife2

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
You can go on ebay and purchase a factory repair manual made by Toyota itself for your Tundra either on disc or an electronic download. They're usually $5 or so -- much more detailed than a Haynes or Chilton's. I bought one for the wife's PT Cruiser. It tells you exactly what size fasteners you're dealing with and how to get to them, and how to do the various repairs.

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" is a great book about the mindset you need to repair mechanical things.

TRENDING THREADS