Just under half of my ram available for use in Windows 10 64 bit?

GeneralJim25

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
I havent noticed this, so therefore I dont know how long its been going on with my computer. However, my computer has 8 GB of Corsair Vengeance ram, 1666 mhz, and a MSI 990FXA-GD65 board. The ram showing usable by the system is only 4 GB, though the computer registers that I have 8. The other 4 are reserved to Hardware, and I have no idea why. Its having a performance impact on Fallout 4, as that was the only reason that I was able to figure out something was wrong in the first place.

And before anyone asks, I have Windows 10 Home 64 bit. I am well aware that the 32 bit version limits ram that the PC can use. So no its not that, save yourself a response.

Solution
I had this issue before. A BIOS update fixed it. BIOS would recognize the memory installed, but Windows showed only half of it. The BIOS update fixed it. Also, are you using two sicks of RAM or four? If you are using two, make sure you have the sticks in slots 2 and 4 or 1 and 3. It can't be 1 and 2 or 3 and 4, it has to be a slot open between them.

GeneralJim25

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Fortunately I had to do none of this. I ended up deciding to just reseat the ram to see if that would fix it. It fixed it fortunately though I had to reseat the ram several times, reset the cmos atleast 3 times, and disconnect a HDD to ensure that the PC would even boot. But everything is up and working now. Also, even if I wanted to update the bios, I dont have a USB small enough to install the bios update. I only have an 8 GB, and from what I have read online you need to be 2 GB or smaller. Unless that is not the case. I did try to update a similar MSI board and it would not read the bios file to install it. But I suppose that is a problem for another day

Bo Lee

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
I had this issue before. A BIOS update fixed it. BIOS would recognize the memory installed, but Windows showed only half of it. The BIOS update fixed it. Also, are you using two sicks of RAM or four? If you are using two, make sure you have the sticks in slots 2 and 4 or 1 and 3. It can't be 1 and 2 or 3 and 4, it has to be a slot open between them.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS