Windows Audio Service using way too much CPU

AtomiCAST

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
Hello guys,

I recently finished building my new rig and it was working perfectly fine until yesterday when the Audio Service started using around 15 to 25% of the CPU and has crashed many of my games due to the CPU hitting the 99% mark constantly. At first it was the usual Superfetch issue but when i turned that off, the Audiosrv service started kicking out things around.

Screenshot: http://prntscr.com/fs6452

My current PC has the following installed:
Intel I7 7700k 4.2GHz
ROG Maximus IX Code
EVGA GTX 1080 TI ICX FTW3
Samsung EVO 850 SSD

Please do note that it's the second time i reinstalled my OS and it's a completely fresh start.

The issue usually occurs whenever i boot up or sometimes whenever i launch The Division (For example), after a while the high CPU usage crashes the game.

I'm currently using the drivers that came with my Motherboard Support CD and some of the drivers automatically installed by Nvidia GeForce Experience.

http://prntscr.com/fs66p2 (Replaced the Realtek with the ones from their website instead of ASUS included ones)

Solution
check Asus web site and see if you have latest motherboard drivers, as the problem might not be directly related to Realtek, it could be one of the other drivers.

AtomiCAST

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017

Did almost everything that was on that post, except reinstall Skype as i discarded that once i boot up with no Startup Programs enabled. This is an odd issue though, it sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't, kinda random. Right now i had the issue, restarted and it went away.

Odd stuff with Windows.

abcaust123

Prominent
May 5, 2017
Hi,

I previously got HIGH CPU usage (>15%) by 'Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation' @ Task Manager when playing anything with audio, eg playing HEVC/x265 movies via MPC-BE. When fix, this process use <5% of my CPU when playing any audio.

This fix WORKS for me: Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7567 purchased new in Aug-18: Service Tag 5MRPXQ2 & Express Service Code 12260727290.

I downloaded & installed 'Realtek High Definition Audio Driver': Version 6.0.1.8142, A04-> https://www.dell.com/support/home/au/en/aubsd1/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=8WWJK

Must follow the installation process, being,
1. UN-install the existing version & reboot,
2. install the 8142 version & reboot.

If your computer is different make (eg ROG Maximus IX Code), try downloading 3 versions of the audio drivers specific to your particular model: from current version to the PREVIOUS 2 older versions. Test each version & see which one does NOT create HIGH CPU usage. Then mark that working version for later RE-use.

If the above fix the problem but then the problem RE-ocur down the track, try updating/refreshing the drivers for your audio-hardware @ Device Manager.
In my case, I updated the 'Realtek Audio' hardware with 'Realtek Audio' software (version 8142) previously installed on my laptop.

If you have 'sound cracking' problem, try this method also.

Welcome to IT: lots of trial & error, and frustration.

Good luck.