Plugging Speakers into Monitor?

JGGRNT

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017
I have a unique problem where some of my steam games (rise of the tomb raider, doom, dying light) do not output any sound when I'm playing it (only sound in the starting load screen). I've tried everything to fix the problem, reinstalling audio drivers, disabling audio enhancements, speaker configurations, sound quality, running directx in the game folder, etc, but nothing I did fixed the problem.
However, I am able to get sound if i plug in my speakers directly to the monitor audio jack instead of the audio jack on my pc. My question is, will the sound quality degrade if it's plugged into the monitor instead of the pc? I have the Edifier R1700BT speakers if that helps.

Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

Solution
Don't reset your PC, that should be the last resort!
Check the particular game's setting to see if it has an option for you to select the audio device.
If it has, it might have hdmi audio selected and not your sound card.
Also, make sure your sound card is the prefered audio playback device.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No, sound won't degrade, nothing noticeable anyways, it's being digitally sent by hdmi or dvi that the monitor is using. Not sure why games would shut off the audio, but as fat as I can tell it's a default settings issue, not drivers directly. It could be in bios you have the front jack's default off, and in audio settings your monitor as default speakers or maybe even have the front speakers set to mute/off in their particular slider. Take a peek at your playback devices under audio settings, see what's up/disabled.

JGGRNT

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017

Thanks for the reply, I just tried disabling all my output devices except for the speakers but I'm still having the same problem. What puzzles me is that I get audio from all my previous purchased games such as gta v and total war warhammer. It's just the the games from my recent purchase during the summer sale that doesn't have audio. Do you think resetting my pc would solve this problem?

Maebius

Splendid
Feb 17, 2017
Don't reset your PC, that should be the last resort!
Check the particular game's setting to see if it has an option for you to select the audio device.
If it has, it might have hdmi audio selected and not your sound card.
Also, make sure your sound card is the prefered audio playback device.

Solution