Component Compatibility Check

greg611

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pJv2Cy
Hi all, this is my 2nd build. Even though I went thru this fun process once it was a long time ago and advice from people with experience is gonna help me a lot-- like it did last time, so much appreciated.
Main uses are heavy photo editing, occasional video editing, gaming and every day use. I'd like to be happy with this build for 4 years or so and I'm leaving room to add another GPU and more solid state storage and RAM.
Along with advice on any of the components I'm wondering about the RAM- I chose DDR4-3200 because that was about in the middle of what the mobo can handle. Random... recommendations there?
Graphics- expensive! Never had an EVGA card so any comments about them, the choice etc., would be appreciated.
I chose what looked like a super solid SSD for the OS to be on the safe side but again... expensive. A waste of money there? Peace of mind is worth spending money on and a dead main drive is a nightmare I'd like to avoid.
I've already got two 4k monitors.
Thanks!

Core i7 7700K
EVGA - CLC 280 113.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus Maximus Code mobo
Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM
Samsung 960 Pro SSD 512mb
EVGA GTX1070 GPU
Phanteks Enthoo Lux ATX Full Tower
EVGA Supernova G3 850w PSU
Windows 10 64bit

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017
Looks like you have a solid build and no problems, all of your components are compatible. EVGA GPU's are good quality and Samsungs Are one if not the best makers of SSD's, I have one myself(Samsung Evo 500GB) and I couldn't be happier it replaced a bad quality SanDisk 480Gb SSD that died and only lasted a little over a year.

greg611

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
Thanks! I've changed major components on this build so many times before I brought it here. Still have some more research to do (like watching build videos with this motherboard) but this thread is the last major step before I buy.

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017
You should be okay. Now putting everything together is the fun part. Your motherboard should come with good manuals that will help a lot when connecting front audio and usb ports.

greg611

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
Link has been updated in the first line of first post. Lots of changes! The money has been plopped down, now I'm just waiting for it all to land on my doorstep.
Wish there were more build videos out there with my major components but I'll keep searching.

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017

You should be able to overclock that core i7 close or to 5Ghz

jsut 2 personal things, since I hear complainments about the g3 beeing really loud.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Platinum 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($107.89 @ Newegg)
Total: $267.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-11 08:44 EDT-0400

all looks great except the ssd 512mb is a little low. ;)

greg611

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
Thanks for this. I chose 850w because I figured I might go SLI someday and EVGA since they are getting rave reviews for most of their stuff. Platinum... I have one of the computer I've been using the last 4 years but after reading tons of reviews it seems like there are going to be lemons regardless of platinum or gold or bronze. I hope it's not too loud- honestly unless it's absurd I should be all right with it since I've got headphones on most of the time.

pretty damn loud https://cybenetics.com/a/HH4/

greg611

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
I read thru all the reviews on newegg and there are 2 that say the fans are loud, but then show me anything that doesn't have at least some negative comment on newegg lol. 2 out of the 25 or so comments seemed pretty good to me, especially since the rest were glowing for the most part.
If it turns out to be so loud it bothers me thru the headphones I will report back and leave a review on newegg about it for sure, but now that it's on it's way I will install it and hope for the best. My bad for changing stuff out and ordering before I got the feedback here.

greg611

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
It turned out to be a pretty solid machine. I had one hiccup- couldn't get more than one ram stick to work. I bought single channel ram- I was unaware that ram channels was something I needed to know about. Zero mention in the Corsair or Asus [mobo] specs and in the motherboard manual the slot configuration diagrams are for dual channel ram only- nothing for single, no mention... so I had no idea why it wouldn't post with both modules. When I ran CPUID and saw what was going on I tried slots B1/B2 and voila- everything has been running smoothly since then. The motherboard manual says use slots A2/B2 for two modules.

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017
Yes most motherboards are dual, triple or quad channel memory configurations. When using more than one Channel you must place the second Memory stick on the corresponding slot for dual configuration.