After Nvidia Driver update Windows 10 wont start properly.

ChornyRussian

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013
During the Nvidia update the computer got a black screen. I waited a little and then decided to manually restart. The pc comes to the circles spinning loading screen, plays the windows sound but doesnt go to the login screen. I am thinking about formatting, but before i do, are there any thoughts about what i might do?

Solution
You can try loading into Safe Mode to disable/uninstall the driver in question. If that is not possible, you can reset the Master Boot Record. This will hopefully work as it will attempt to replace critical system drivers without data loss. If those don't work then yeah you need to reformat or restore from backup.

If you don't backup already, there's tools like Comodo Time Machine or Rollback Rx which are great backup tools.

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
You can try loading into Safe Mode to disable/uninstall the driver in question. If that is not possible, you can reset the Master Boot Record. This will hopefully work as it will attempt to replace critical system drivers without data loss. If those don't work then yeah you need to reformat or restore from backup.

If you don't backup already, there's tools like Comodo Time Machine or Rollback Rx which are great backup tools.

Solution

nancyrobert2011

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015
if the system cannot start successfully, you need to enter Safe Mode to perform the instructions. So first, enter Safe Mode.

Restore the Drivers to Previous Version

Follow steps below:

Press the Windows key and R (at the same time). A Run dialog will appear.
Type rstrui.exe in and click OK. The system restore window will appear.

Choose to restore to an earlier time (before you updated the drivers).
Click on Next. Click on Finish.

Reboot your PC for the changes to take effect

Method 2: Uninstall the Driver

Press Win+R(Windows key and R key) at the same time. A Run dialog will appear.
Type devmgmt.msc in the run box and click OK button. Then Device Manager will open.

In Device Manager, expand the category and locate the device which you updated and caused the problem. Right-click on the device name and select Uninstall on the context menu.
Following screen shot is for your reference (Different device will be listed under different category.).

Windows will prompt you to confirm the uninstallation. Check the box next to “Delete the driver software for this device.” Click OK button.

Restart your PC as soon as possible.