Secondary monitor taking priority over primary

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhysoTronic

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017
My problem is next xD I have 2 monitors, one 144Hz and one garbage xD. Garbage is connected with VGA+ VGA->DVI adapter(I think its DVI). I have DVI cable and connect directly garbage monitor to GPU but then it takes title display 1 which I dont want because I want my main monitor to be display 1 and secondary display number 2. If I let monitor to be connected like this then my secondary monitor is displaying BIOS and he will always be first one to show picture when windows start up. I know that this isnt world first problem but its annoying like hell to me because my primary monitor is obviously monitor who started working first because it show message no display but thats (IMO) because secondary monitor is taking priority. I tried connecting secondary monitor with HDMI cable but he then again takes over title of display number 1. I installed new SSD yesterday and new windows 10. Today for some reason my primary monitor actually was monitor who showed windows first and not second monitor but I need to update my drivers, I used driver booster and updated 13 drivers and now f***ing second monitor is again one who shows windows first. I want to know is there way to somehow overwrite that priority or change numbers of display how PC recognize them? I tried turning in 1 monitor then 2 but after restart we have same old story

P.S. I just found out that Im using VGA to DVI-A adapter. What would happen if I switch to VGA to DVI adapter? Like this one:

0007269_adapter-delock-vga-m-na-dvi-z-200300096.jpg

CorsairSSC

Respectable
Aug 9, 2016
Go to your desktop on Windows, right click, and choose the "Display" option. There, you should be able to configure which monitor takes priority.

If that doesn't work, then go to your GPU drivers and fix monitor priority there (I don't know if you're using Radeon or GTX so I'll leave this part up to you to figure out).

PhysoTronic

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017

Im using GTX 960 but like that my primary monitor will always be Display 2 in all programs which I dont want to. I had problems with few game because they automaically started on Display 1 and not 2 for which I said in windows that it will be my main monitor

For the obvious question: which connector do you have what monitor plugged into the GPU? You need to find out if your video card's output ports assign different priorities between monitor #1 and #2. FYI this cannot be fixed in Windows. Also some apps will only open in the last window they were closed in. So for example if you had an app dragged over to screen #2 and closed it there, when you reopen it, it will open in screen #2. It's been an aggravating "bug" that Microsoft has had since Vista.

PhysoTronic

Prominent
Jul 3, 2017

I cant connect my 2nd monitor to 2nd connector because I need VGA to DVI-D adapter which I cant find in shops here to buy it. So its connected to 1st port on GPU while 1st monitor is connected to 2nd. Also I tried to use DVI-DVI cable on second monitor to connect it to GPU and all is good EXCEPT when I put PC to hibernation or turn off second monitor all open programs go to 1st monitor and it also restart my 1st monitor (I can see how programs are arranged in explorer, that only happens when you restart explorer.exe). Is there way to fix that? I read on internet that problem is usually with drivers but I already DDL drivers and insitalled them again (true its before I put that cable in second monitor but still) and I used driver booster 2 days ago to update drivers(13 in total)

Status
Not open for further replies.