Windows 10 Explorer not refreshing

axyo_0

Prominent
May 27, 2017
Basically a few days ago I finally bought a new SSD(Samsung SSD 850 EVO) to run alongside my HDD (Toshiba DT01ACA100) since I was getting pretty tired of how slow Windows was running. I installed Windows on it and everything worked fine until yesterday evening, when, seemingly completely out of nowhere, my Windows Explorer just stopped automatically refreshing.

This means whenever i create a Folder or move a file i have to press f5 so the Folder will even appear. This is incredibly annoying and I pretty much can't use my Computer normally right now.

I've already completely wiped my now two harddrives and installed Windows on each seperately to see if that was the issue but nothing changed. Ive also tried Things like changing a "dontrefresh" key in the registry, resetting desktop icon designs, changing write-cache settings, disabling third party shell extensions, running "sfc /scannow" ,"DISM.exe" cleanup, creating a new local user and pretty much everything you can find on the first pages on Google.

Also, Will buying a new Windows copy entirely be a solution to this or does the Problem Come down to Hardware and doesnt have anything to do with my Windows Installation?

I hope someone can help me, thanks in advance.

My specs: (don't know if it matters but hey why not)

-GTX970
-AMD FX8350
-8GB RAM
-MSI 970 Gaming
-Windows 10 Home

PS: Excuse the random capitalisation, Edge apparently has some spellcheck but I dont have the nerves to fix that right now.

Solution
OK, well I'd say this one bears watching. If it's not a constant thing just watch with the system as it is, and if it looks good plug the other drive back in and see if that causes any issues.
Buying a new copy of Windows wouldn't change anything. Really all you actually buy is a license key; a fresh copy of the most recent version of Windows 10 can be downloaded from the microsoft servers at any time. Besides that, the fact you tried several installations on a few disks seems to rule out *a* bad install. It's possible the install media is corrupt (but then the DISM, sfc scans should have detected such a thing).

Since this happened since a new drive was added, let's look there. What happens if you unplug the SSD and run from one of the HDD?

axyo_0

Prominent
May 27, 2017

"two harddrives" was bad wording by me. I've already done that. I unplugged my SSD and installed windows on my HDD again and the issue still remained.

axyo_0

Prominent
May 27, 2017

Okay so I've plugged in my HDD to a random other sata port and now it seems to be working. HOWEVER i dont want to jump to any conclusions since the issue has been incosistent anyway. the Thing is in the process of switching the SATA port i also unplugged my Disk drive and now I don't know which factor was the actual cause of the Problem.

axyo_0

Prominent
May 27, 2017

Alright ill do that, thank you so much for you help!