Directx 9 problems windows 10

fsivad93

Prominent
Jul 6, 2017
specs: 1050ti
8gb ram
windows 10
I've run into a problem with directx 9 compatibility with my steam collection. Prior to a few days ago, it worked fine. I downloaded and installed Kingdoms of amalur during the steam sale, and since then, I havent been able to get anything that requires DX9 to work. I've tried the redistributable pack from microsoft, but it didn't do anything. I've tried uninstalling windows updates (had recently updated) and that didn't do anything either.Has anybody else had this problem? If so, how did you manage to fix it? (i would rather not do a fresh install of windows)

Solution

Still, like any other piece of software, it can become corrupted. You might need to uninstall DirectX and then reinstall it. If it is recognizing it is installed, it won't update, but if it is corrupt than it still won't update because it thinks it is good. Kinda like...

fsivad93

Prominent
Jul 6, 2017

I've done that, and it still wont work. Im assuming its a broken file that somehow ended up in the dx9 file that is pulled when you go to start a game. The dxsetup says that a later version is already installed so no new install is needed.

Bo Lee

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015

Still, like any other piece of software, it can become corrupted. You might need to uninstall DirectX and then reinstall it. If it is recognizing it is installed, it won't update, but if it is corrupt than it still won't update because it thinks it is good. Kinda like broken drivers, they install best when completely uninstalling the old ones.

Do you have a restore point that you could backup to from before when this started? If so, that might keep you from having to do a complete reinstall of everything.

Solution