How do I revert to 1607 from 1703 CU after the 10 day period has elapsed?

warm pancake

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
Hi everybody. I installed Creator's Update eagerly back in mid-May with high hopes. I soon began having blue screens with the stop code UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION that continue to this day. This blue screen happens in these two scenarios: if I use hibernate, my laptop crashes every 24 hours exactly; or if I use fast startup/sleep or idle for more than 10 minutes. I basically cannot use my computer without fearing of data loss, and the internet has nothing to help me because I have researched every forum on this topic for 2 months.

I want to get rid of CU as quickly as possible and never look back. I am not within the 10 day period to revert through Recovery, however I have been told that I can use an ISO for Windows 10 Home (1607) since my OS was licensed by the manufacturer and is ingrained in my bios. This would be the same version as my OS, Windows 10 Home. None of the hardware has ever been changed. This is the site I was looking at to use a 1607 ISO: http://windowsiso.net/windows-10-iso/windows-10-anniversary-update-1607-download-build-14393-0/windows-10-anniversary-update-1607-iso-download-standard/

I used to respect Microsoft but the fact that whatever this is, and it seems widespread, hasn't been addressed beyond telling people to do /sfc scannow and chkdsk is pathetic. I have done all of those, I have done DISM, I have clean booted, I have reinstalled Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool, I have done countless malware and virus scans, my drivers are up to date.

All I want is to get rid of CU, I can't stand it. I know for a fact that my blue screens began with the update, and that before I had zero issues. I am begging you, please help me! I am willing to follow all instructions, whatever it takes to get my system back to days when I could use sleep and hibernate.

Solution
It may be hardware, but not the hard drive.
Bad RAM or bad RAM slot, possibly? Test those.

To move the current install to a new drive, these steps, in order:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to...

warm pancake

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014

I was afraid this would happen. I did not say that, I said Windows 10 Home saves the key to the bios, which is true. I cannot pinpoint what the problem is, but I am on my computer 24/7 and know when something causes something. It began as soon as I got CU, like clockwork. UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION once or more every day. I want to get rid of CU immediately.

USAFRet

Titan

The license key has nothing to do with whichever Win 10 version it is or gets upgraded to.
The license key stays the same throughout.

When and if you find a viable 1607 release to install....the most recent one (currently CU), will install itself again after a while.
In a few months, it will be the "Fall Creators Update".
Win 10 Home will update itself.

So lets try to discover what, exactly, about the CU disagrees with your hardware.

What error messages are you seeing, besides "STORE_EXCEPTION "?
What is in the error logs?

warm pancake

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
The specific codes are UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION and CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. The latter code has appeared only a few times, but always after the first code after I've restarted. I have noticed a correlation between starting up Chrome after I restart, Chrome freezing, then the blue screen with critical process died.

I am aware that Windows will eventually update but even if it meant I could use my computer in peace for a month I would do anything.

I'll be honest I don't know the steps I need to take to give you the error logs but I will gladly do that for you.

warm pancake

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014

The times I didn't start Chrome right away, the critical_process_died BSOD did not happen. Instead I would use Edge and not crash, then later I can use Chrome and not crash. I've been using Chrome all day without a crash, but only because I shut down last night which seems to stall the blue screen. It seems very closely tied to hibernate and sleep.

If you or somebody else would point me to a step by step for the logs I will post those right away.

USAFRet

Titan

WIN+S - Event Viewer
It may look bad because there may be a LOT of Errors and Warnings, even in a perfectly running system.

But this may lead to the specific problem.

warm pancake

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014

Okay I got there, what exactly would you like me to post here and how do I do that? Apologies for noob questions.

USAFRet

Titan

Just read through, and see if there are any events that happen at the same time as the displayed blue screens.

warm pancake

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014

Alright will do when it next happens. Up until now I haven't been marking down the exact times but I will now. I have some other, good news. I was able to get the 1607 Anniversary ISO (July 2016) from Microsoft's own website on the media creation tool page. So no concerns about illegitimate ISOs, though I verified the hash of the one from the other website and it was okay anyways. I will be mounting the ISO in a little while.

To double check, my activation key is linked to my motherboard yes? So downgrading won't void anything and leave me without a license?

No it won't. The only thing that would is if you change out your motherboard. To avoid that issue your license would need to be tied to your M$ account.

In response to the above answer M$ can block that update because it is causing problems with your PC.

Bo Lee

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015

True. I switched motherboards recently and couldn't activate. I had to get in touch with Microsoft. What is embedded is the license for the software, but the software itself. I changed GPUs, CPUs, RAM, pretty much everything without having to reactivate Win10. When I changed the MB it made me do so and that is when I had the issue. The tech said that the license is actually in the MB, on the BIOS I am assuming, but not the software.

USAFRet

Titan

The license is "linked to" the motherboard, not "in" the motherboard.

At the activation server farm....
"Motherboard Serial Number XXX123 has a valid Win 10 'digital entitlement' of 123456-abcdef-9875-xxxxxxxxx"

Put in a new motherboard....Serial Number YYY456....the activation serves know nothing about it. It has no valid license associated.
Via the linking to your MS account....you can instruct the activation server that "YYY456 is now the 'system/motherboard' I am using, and please associate this with the digital entitlement."

Bo Lee

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015

He just said tied to. I just assumed he meant that somewhere in the BIOS the license was implanted as those chips can be written to. But being tied to the serial number makes sense also and when I rebooted with the board, the Windows install saw the mismatch with the MB serial number.

warm pancake

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
Hi everybody,
I apologize for the hiatus between posts. I have been unusually busy, did not intend to leave anybody hanging. Anyways after getting the 1607 ISO, it turns out that I can't keep ANYTHING when doing the downgrade. I don't have access to any external storage so I have spent the last couple days ensuring everything I need to get restarted in on the cloud.

I also have been checking event viewer and there are many curious things there. Below are the errors associated with the last crash:

Warning 7/10/2017 10:36:02 PM DNS Client Events 1014 (1014)
Error 7/10/2017 10:34:22 PM DistributedCOM 10016 None
Error 7/10/2017 10:34:14 PM DistributedCOM 10010 None
Error 7/10/2017 10:34:13 PM Apps 5973 (5973)
Warning 7/10/2017 10:32:50 PM Security-SPP 8233 None
Warning 7/10/2017 10:32:26 PM Security-SPP 8233 None
Warning 7/10/2017 10:32:20 PM Security-SPP 8233 None
Warning 7/10/2017 10:32:13 PM Security-SPP 8233 None
Warning 7/10/2017 10:32:01 PM User Device Registration 360 None
Warning 7/10/2017 10:32:00 PM Security-SPP 8233 None
Error 7/10/2017 10:31:56 PM DistributedCOM 10016 None
Error 7/10/2017 10:31:56 PM DistributedCOM 10016 None
Warning 7/10/2017 10:31:37 PM Security-SPP 8233 None
Warning 7/10/2017 10:31:30 PM Security-SPP 8233 None
Warning 7/10/2017 10:31:24 PM Security-SPP 8233 None
Warning 7/10/2017 10:31:14 PM Security-SPP 8233 None
Warning 7/10/2017 10:30:50 PM Security-SPP 8233 None
Warning 7/10/2017 10:30:44 PM Security-SPP 8233 None
Warning 7/10/2017 10:30:42 PM CertificateServicesClient-AutoEnrollment 64 None
Warning 7/10/2017 10:30:35 PM Security-SPP 8233 None
Warning 7/10/2017 10:30:29 PM Wininit 11 None
Error 7/10/2017 10:30:24 PM Eventlog 1101 Event processing
Error 7/10/2017 10:30:20 PM EventLog 6008 None
Error 7/10/2017 10:30:20 PM Service Control Manager 7000 None
Error 7/10/2017 10:30:19 PM AppModel-Runtime 37 None
Error 7/10/2017 10:30:19 PM AppModel-Runtime 37 None
Warning 7/10/2017 10:30:18 PM BTHUSB 28 None
Critical 7/10/2017 10:29:56 PM Kernel-Power 41 (63)

So the crash begins with the Kernel Power, which is the unexpected shutdown caused by the blue screen and subsequent power button. When I restart at 10:30:18, all of those errors come. I can post details for any errors you need them for.

Bo Lee

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
Yeah, KernelPower 41 means that it shut down or restarted unexpectedly without shutting down properly. The reason it is last is because that was the note saying "goodbye cruel world."

The DCOM 10016 might be fixable via help here. https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7742f039-70af-49b5-b37e-9597da743971/event-id-10016-the-applicationspecific-permission-settings-do-not-grant-local-activation?forum=win10itprogeneral

The 10010 is a similar issue involving Cortana.

I have read some people were able to fix these errors by disabling OneSyncSVC. They did this by setting the key start value to 4 in these registry keys.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\OneSyncSvc, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\OneSyncSvc_Session1
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\OneSyncSvc_Session4

These errors are typically found when you upgrade from a previous version of Windows. If you are downgrading, if you aren't completely formatting the drive first, that could possibly be the source of your problems.

warm pancake

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
I finally have a significant update for you all, and a new question. I was able to successfully install the 1607 ISO, it went perfectly. I couldn't keep anything so everything got truly scrubbed and cleaned. The computer is running quickly now that I've cleaned a lot of junk. However, as much it hurts to say...the issue happened again.

It was shortly after I logged on for the first time after installing 1607, before all of my drivers and Windows Update were finished. I was on Chrome and Chrome stopped, the taskbar stopped responding, and boom, my PC crashed again with UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION.

With this development, I have almost lost all hope. Since I got all my drivers installed nothing has happened, but I'm not holding out hope. So here is my next question: I think I may purchase a new hard drive because I am convinced it is a hardware issue. If I buy a hard drive, is there any way to get Windows 10 onto the new HDD without a DVD or USB?

Note: So far Windows has not pushed Creator's on me and I have done everything I can to put it off. At this point I really just want to start fresh on a new hard drive, since everything important is in the cloud and it doesn't really matter that I lose this HDD. Thank you.

USAFRet

Titan
It may be hardware, but not the hard drive.
Bad RAM or bad RAM slot, possibly? Test those.

To move the current install to a new drive, these steps, in order:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the original boot partitions, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall

Solution