Are there any good monitors out there i can get for my new $3k machine? Or have i just wasted my money?

zombiehacker

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
So i built a 7700k/1080 machine recently, with plans on upgrading to a 1440/144hz ips monitor after a couple weeks. After browsing around /r/monitors, it seems like the general consensus is that 1440/144hz ips monitors are all garbage, and i'm a "moron" for even considering getting one, so there goes that idea. I refuse to go back to TN panels, so i can't pick up 1080/144hz monitors, and realistically; my pc just isn't good enough for 4k@60 yet in the games i want to play.

So what on earth can i do? I've just spent $3000(aud) on a machine that is giving me the same experience my $300 console gives me (okay that's not entirely true, TW3 at 60fps is certainly nicer than 30fps, but not $2700 nice). Are there any monitors that may have slipped under my radar that would fit my PC well, or should i just sell it? What are other people with high end rigs doing?

Thanks.

Solution
Oled will be a welcome sight but as said it is a fairy tale and will be for a long time. For now I'd say va should be taking market share the same as ips did to tn. The x34 might have been the best ultrawide in 2016 but the va samsung cf791 would be my top pick. You just can't beat good black levels when it comes to looks. It's also cheaper at $900.

I'd suggest va but there just isn't a 1440p/144 va monitor out yet. There was supposed to be one released soon by AUO. Samsung has been a va proponent releasing a lot a great va recently with their new quantum dot tech. The best 1440p va so far is the hp omen 32 at 75hz $400 or a 60hz samsung s32 $390. Or go with 1080p/144 samsung cfg70 at $370. Soon va should be giving ips/tn a run for its...

mbilal2

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017

Hi there. Believe it or not this is a very common question. My initial approach to you will be settle with a cheaper TN 1440p/144Hz monitor. Why? There is a chance OLED screens are going to take over IPS displays but that is still a fairy tale. I would highly recommend you go for the ROG Swift PG278Q.

To answer your question what most high end gamers are doing? Buying the Acer X34 which is an ultra wide 100Hz 4ms G-Sync monitor which has a whooping price tag of 1200 USD. Others are settling for a TN panel like the Asus I mentioned and Dell monitors with similar specs coming to somewhere about 800 USD.

I agree with you TN panels do not look as good as an IPS display but with some tweaking, they come close. So is the IPS display worth approx. 300$ more? IMO nope. The chances of having a backlight bleed in IPS monitors is also high.
Gamers need a high response 1ms monitor and that is where TN panels excel. IPS displays usually have slower response times ~4ms.

Now for watching movies, ultra wide monitors suck as most movies don't support the aspect ratio. You will end up having two large black bands at the sides. Ultrawide monitors do provide you with larger field of view when playing a FPS on it and it is a beautiful experience (takes some time getting used to it).

Those are the facts. Choose for your self.

Disclaimer: I own both an IPS display and a TN display. Also I prefer 1440p over 4k. I do not own any of the specific monitors I mentioned in this answer so my solution is pretty much unbiased.

Final verdict: get the ROG Swift PG278Q or a similar monitor.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted! :)

Oled will be a welcome sight but as said it is a fairy tale and will be for a long time. For now I'd say va should be taking market share the same as ips did to tn. The x34 might have been the best ultrawide in 2016 but the va samsung cf791 would be my top pick. You just can't beat good black levels when it comes to looks. It's also cheaper at $900.

I'd suggest va but there just isn't a 1440p/144 va monitor out yet. There was supposed to be one released soon by AUO. Samsung has been a va proponent releasing a lot a great va recently with their new quantum dot tech. The best 1440p va so far is the hp omen 32 at 75hz $400 or a 60hz samsung s32 $390. Or go with 1080p/144 samsung cfg70 at $370. Soon va should be giving ips/tn a run for its money for gamers when these newer 144hz models come out.

Even if blacklight bleed isn't an issue with the ips mentioned, ips glow will be but I still see quite a bit of debate between 278qr (updated and cheaper 278q now at $650) vs 279q. Other than those, the acer equivalents are also argued as the best options for 1440p/144. Honestly I am a bit disappointed too in 1440p monitor selection far awhile. It seems development time/money is being split with ultrawide and 4k although that does give more variety in selection for consumers.

Solution

Cnconrad

Prominent
Apr 7, 2017
How did you spend $3000? I spent $1900 for a 7700k i-7 a 1080ti evga SC 2 a m.2 SSD and a 3tb 7200rpm HDD with 16 gigs of 3200 ram along with fancy case psu ECT.

You should still be able to run 3 screens of 1080p monitor's off of a 1080 that's a fun experience and should only cost 250-300 in monitors

zombiehacker

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013

3k Australian dollars, not USD. The 1080 alone is around $950 here. I ended up just going against peoples word and buying the 1440/165 IPS display. The biggest issue apparently with these monitors (Severe BLB bleed) is practically non-existent in my viewsonic.

http://i.imgur.com/YlBlNGf.jpg

Couldn't be happier.