Sign in with
Your question

Intel® Celeron™ D processor work in Intel P4 spot

Last response: in CPUs
July 7, 2006 10:52:23 PM

My friend's cpu is fried, I believe, He has a P4 3.4 ghz socket lga775. the motherboard is a abit ag8. Im trying to see if it is the cpu that is damaged. The only processor I can find without going out and buying one is Intel® Celeron™ D processor with a lga 775 socket. Abit's website says the the supported processors are all Pentium 4's. My question is will the Intel® Celeron™ D processor I have work in replacement for the Pentium 4 that is possible fried. Could the Intel® Celeron™ D processor be damaged by trying it on the motherboard? Are there any other problems that could damge the processor? I'm not sure the voltage on the chips.

PS the fan on the cpu was not atight fix that is why I think the chip is fried.

TIA
July 7, 2006 11:24:53 PM

if you cant find written words for support of the processor then thats a no, i would think theres a reason they wouldent list it.
if the fan not working is what you think fried it then id try diagnossing the motherboard too, most p4's have a thermal protection that prevents them from frying.
July 7, 2006 11:52:35 PM

The reason why I think its the cpu is because when i got the computer it would try and start for 10 second sthen turn off. i opened the case and noticed the cpu fan was really loose. The motherboard as a monitior that reads off codes. It always skiped teh cpu voltage scan andthen ends after shuitting down. just by putting in a differnt processor it could fry eventhough its the right socket?
Related resources
July 8, 2006 1:49:24 AM

Im not sure what version the bios is since it wont turn on. If it is the wrong bios will it damage any of the components? Thanks for finding the chart.
July 8, 2006 3:32:30 PM

I believe its wrong to say that 'Most' P4's have thermal protection... All P4's since the very first 1.3Ghz Willemotte P4's have had 2 layers of protection. At low levels of overheat (65-85 degrees depending on which version you have) the P4 simply lowers the clock rate. This was demo'ed years ago by THG removing the heatsink while playing Quake (or was it doom). The P4 simply slowed down, until they replaced the heatsink.

At higher levels (around 120 degrees) P4 will go into halt state, and bascially crash. A power cycle is required to reset this.

Its possible for motherboards to disable the first level of protection, but as far as I know the 120 degrees halt cannot be disabled.

All in all, its very difficult to damage a P4 processor, unless your in the habit of massibly overvolting the processor.
Related resources
!