unsure about GPU and TV resolution

eminark

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Hi, I have been looking at getting a better graphics card than my current which is a GTX 750
rest of system specs I already have I5 7600k,
gigbayte z1270 mobo
corsair vengeance 2 x 8gb at 3000mhz
ssd samsung evo 850 250gb
and a EVGA gold 850 psu
I realise GPU is very under powered for this setup.

I want to be able to run WORLD of Warcraft Legion and some V R games > I dont have Vive I have made my own occulus thrift < TLDR > bassicaly using phone as vr headset < I dont play racing games or FPS >

my current TV screen I use is a 48inch 1080p LG running at 60Hz.

Actual Question is this IF my GPU does higher resolutions then my TV does should I need to change my TV to a higher resolution TV as I have accesss to a smaller 1440 one. The answer to me would seem to be yes but before I do that I thought I would check here.

The cards i am considering are between rx 480 8gb, 1060 6gb and 1070 8gb,
the main card I am considering is the 1070

I do not mean a monitor sorry I mean the rpelacemente one could be a 2k 40" TV < new to these things forgive my ignorance, I also want to look at the requirements specifically for my V R, current setup is this the picture running stereo vision side by side that i send the output to my phone, < don't know the science it just works and phone has gyroscope so i can move it apparently this setup works similar as thrift and vive>, do you think the 1060 6gb is good enough or the gtx 480 or 580 From the prices I have seen at the moment they are all on the same par just a question of budget unless I am very mistaken >

OR should I go for the 1070 at double the price it seems here in the UK of the others < I don't need to play VR at Ultra specs but I would like playable specs 90+ frames min which I believe is the standard for VR.

Solution
Hi,

"smaller 1440 one" do you mean monitor? I ask because no TV content is 1440p so no 1440p native TVs.

It's a question of do you need a higher resolution not as you should because graphics cards can go higher.

for 1080p 60Hz TV or monitor, a 480/1060 is fine. For 1440p monitor 1070 is better. But depends which games also, if wow is the only game you play then either 480/1060 could play well in 1440p.

Also bare in mind price and stock levels for these cards are absurd from this cryptocurrency thats been happening these past couple of weeks.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hi,

"smaller 1440 one" do you mean monitor? I ask because no TV content is 1440p so no 1440p native TVs.

It's a question of do you need a higher resolution not as you should because graphics cards can go higher.

for 1080p 60Hz TV or monitor, a 480/1060 is fine. For 1440p monitor 1070 is better. But depends which games also, if wow is the only game you play then either 480/1060 could play well in 1440p.

Also bare in mind price and stock levels for these cards are absurd from this cryptocurrency thats been happening these past couple of weeks.

Solution