768p with Anti-Aliasing or 1080p without?

tudor55

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017
Good evening, i have a resolution problem: I'm a pretty "ghetto" gamer, used intel HD graphics until a few months back when I got the money to purchase a gtx 1050. I didn't choose the Ti version because i didn't have a 6 pin to power it. Right now I'm using a tv as a display because my old panel didn't have a displayport/hdmi port. And it's horrible. I wanna buy a new panel, but I don't have the money to get a more powerful gpu. so my question is, should i stick with 1366x760 with AA or buy a 1080p panel? How much of an impact would 1080p make on my fps?

Solution
If you go with a small screen (20"-24"), 720p will allow faster framerates than 1080p if you like to use better settings. On the other hand, if you go with 1080p on those size displays, you won't need AA as bad.

But since you consider yourself a "Ghetto Gamer", it might be better to go with 720p and enjoy the higher in-game settings.

Btw, not all 1050 Ti require a 6-pin.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you go with a small screen (20"-24"), 720p will allow faster framerates than 1080p if you like to use better settings. On the other hand, if you go with 1080p on those size displays, you won't need AA as bad.

But since you consider yourself a "Ghetto Gamer", it might be better to go with 720p and enjoy the higher in-game settings.

Btw, not all 1050 Ti require a 6-pin.

Solution

tudor55

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017

Thank you very much for your opinion! I live in Romania, and here there isn't any 1050ti for sale without a 6 pin, or at least I wasn't able to find one. Amazon wasn't an option since the price with shipping almost doubled. And so I struggled with integrated graphics for so long because a decent gpu is quite expesive. for example my 1050 was 700 ron, which, according to google, is 175 bucks. And the thing is, I'm 16 years old. I can't get a job, so the only way to get money is do housework and hope that my parents will give me more money xD But thank you anyways. I think I'll stick to 720p for now, in 2 years I'll get access to my "college funds" anyway so I'll just build a better pc then. For now, i'll just get a panel and a quad core cpu (i dunno, an i5 2500 perhaps. i have a pentium g2030, so I'll have to stick to lga1155.) because the bottleneck on this thing is frustrating. Like, Just Cause 3? No. The witcher? Ultra w/o hairworks @ 40fps, dual core stuttering. Gta V? Maxed, but same cpu stuttering. I actually can't enjoy anything right now.
By the way. You mentioned "20-24 inch" display. This TV I was talking about is ~32 inches and it's 1366x760. So I'm sitting at 15-20 inches away from it and LITERALLY staring at pixels xD Anything would be better than this, really

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, when your screen gets that big, even 1080p is at its limit for not seeing pixels. And if you play at low settings, things get pretty blocky and crude looking. Sitting that close makes it all the worse. Get the small screen 720p display. You'll get used to the smaller screen pretty quick. And pixels will be small enough to be acceptable.

TRENDING THREADS