DVD Drive not showing up. (ASUS X52D)

GrowTFM

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016
I put a disc in there nothing happens. BIOS recoginizes the Drive. Windows shows it in Device Manager. Windows Explorer shows nothing. I tried vlc if it can detect it but it doesn't even show up there. There is not even an error code on the dvd drive on device manager. i booted to my Windows installation via dvd disk it worked just fine. So what's the problem?

Solution
OK. If it's still showing up in the device manager like you said, go there and right-click it's entry and uninstall it, then reboot. If that doesn't work, go back to the device manager and this time uninstall whatever you see under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" and reboot.
The drive may have lost it's drive letter. Look in the disk management panel (if in Windows 8 or higher, right-click the start button and select "disk management" from the menu; in Windows 7 right-click "Computer" in the Start menu, click "Manage" and go to disk management). If you see the drive there, right-click and assign it a letter.

I'm thinking perhaps there is no handler for the DVD format...or the DVD itself has an issue being read...no read, no DVD. Mostly I think a DVD of a type not known (i.e., media type) would end up in a prompt for what you want to use to open it, so more likely the DVD has a read error (it is still possible your system may not be showing you an error for unknown media type, so I wouldn't completely rule out media format).

Have you tried the DVD in another computer? Also, is the DVD a commercial aluminized/shiny DVD, or is it home burned? If home burned there can sometimes be a case of the laser read color to not work well with the dye used in the media (there was a transition period from red to blue for lasers in early years to later years...the dye had to change too or the blue laser might not read it well enough).

GrowTFM

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016

i only see
format disk, offline mode, properties and help
and every time i click format disk or offline mode it gives
The specified file could not be found.
but it has a arrow down icon so i dont know if that means anything.

Look in the left-hand pane in the disk management tool, you may see a CD-ROM drive. Right-click in the box in the left-hand pane if you do.

th
img>

OK. If it's still showing up in the device manager like you said, go there and right-click it's entry and uninstall it, then reboot. If that doesn't work, go back to the device manager and this time uninstall whatever you see under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" and reboot.

Solution