Upgraded PC and Windows Won't Work When I Install The Graphics Card Drivers

HudsonGTV

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
I have recently upgraded my PC. After installing the driver for the graphics card and restarting, Windows displays a blank screen with a spinning loading circle.

Old Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition
RAM: Some Patriot Viper 3 DDR3 RAM 16GB (4x4GB)
GPU: XFX Radeon R9 390

New Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K
Motherboard: ASUS STRIX Z270F
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16GB (2x8GB)
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X

I am still using the same power supply (Corsair AX860)

Also, Windows is really slow in general after the upgrade before the driver issue.

Solution
Sometimes it will appear to work after a motherboard change however there will be different files which really requires you to either reinstall the OS or at the very least run a OS repair.

HudsonGTV

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
Running the OS repair tool doesn't do anything. It just says Windows can't find the problem. Can my 120GB SSD that is almost full handle a reformat and reinstall of Windows? I also don't have a usb 3.0 drive that can hold Windows. Also, is using the "Reset this PC" option in the troubleshooting menu good enough? I also have other drives that have stuff on it. Will those be fine?

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm on Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

WildCard999

Titan
I would just backup your important files and do a clean install. You should be able to do a clean install on that SSD, worse case scenario you may need to manually delete that Windows.old file to free up some space once the clean install is completed. The Windows 10 Tool only uses about 5gb of space so a small flash drive should work fine.

WildCard999

Titan

I've had it shown up after I did a clean install. TBH I have no idea how it was still there after I formatted the SSD but once I did the clean install I noticed I didn't have the same amount of space after the previous install so I looked and found the Windows.old file which once deleted, freed up like 40gb of space.

HudsonGTV

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
Will definitely try this. Hopefully I don't have an issue with windows.old since as pf right now, I only have 3GB of space left on the SSD. I jave so many symbolic links pointing to my hard drive to save space on my SSD. I will try to see if I can find a usb 3.0 (usb 3.1 would be even better) at some store. A 120GB SSD was probably not the best choice when I originally built my old PC.

TRENDING THREADS