Upgrading soon - what steps should I take?

jacobblake

Reputable
Oct 22, 2015
I am upgrading a few things in my gaming/streaming pc soon. Here is the plan:

CPU: i5 4460 --> i7 7700k
RAM: G.Skills Ripjaws 2x8GB DDR3 --> Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8 GB DDR4
MOBO: Asus Z97 Pro Gamer --> Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero

Now, this will be the first upgrade I've done on this gaming rig. What are the steps I need to take? Do I need to back up pictures and things of that nature and do a complete reinstallation of Windows 10?

Solution
You should do this before changing motherboard/CPU - Reactivating win 10 after hardware changes

A fresh install after swapping CPU & Motherboard is always a good idea as it makes sure your installed drivers match the hardware. Download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB, so you at least have the latest version.

Backup anything you don't want to lose. So any files you have made that are impossible to recreate. I would save all documents, pictures, music, movies. - if you have a second hdd just put all of them on it now.

Applications need to be reinstalled so I would make a text document with any logins or passwords you have now - though if you use a google account, a lot of the...

Colif

Win 11 Master
You should do this before changing motherboard/CPU - Reactivating win 10 after hardware changes

A fresh install after swapping CPU & Motherboard is always a good idea as it makes sure your installed drivers match the hardware. Download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB, so you at least have the latest version.

Backup anything you don't want to lose. So any files you have made that are impossible to recreate. I would save all documents, pictures, music, movies. - if you have a second hdd just put all of them on it now.

Applications need to be reinstalled so I would make a text document with any logins or passwords you have now - though if you use a google account, a lot of the browser passwords would be saved on your profile

Solution