Advice on choosing a CPU

jhayat

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2013
Hi all.

Going to build a new computer, and am trying to decide what CPU to go for. It will be a W7 Ult 64 desktop, and the MB choice will most likely be ASUS. The model will be dictated by the CPU.

I don't do any gaming. I do music composition. I currently have a Core i7 4820, 4 core, 3.70 GHz CPU. The MB has 64 MB of RAM, and when my template is loaded, my TM reports just under 61 GB RAM used. Even when I trigger a large amount of samples, I am nowhere near maxing out the CPU, so there is no issue there, currently. My new computer will also have 64 GB RAM.

Do I want a Core X, or an i7? But wait - the Ark Intel site has Core i7 CPUs listed under "Core™ X-series Processors" and also under "7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 Processors". This is the first thing that confuses me.

Do I want a 8 core 4.3 GHz chip with an 11MB cache, or a 6 core 3.8 GHz chip with an 15MB cache? I don't know if my DAW (Cubase) can take advantage of more than four cores... does the app need to be designed in order to take adv. of a specific # of cores? I can always ask support about that.

Any advice, recommendations, or comments will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If existing CPU is currently performing fine, I'd stand pat, and save your money, frankly, as you've already stated your current cpu is 'nowhere near maxed out'.... ; your existing CPU is 3.7/3.9 GHz , and at least it is 4c/8t, or, hyperthreaded...

Complicating these matters, drivers for newest chipsets are not/were not being released to allow an option of utilizing Win7 with newest chipsets....so Windows 7 is not going to work for 7th or 8th gen Intel chipsets, and I believe similar situations exist for Ryzen R5/R7 and WIndows 7....

I'd rethink your decision to upgrade , given your curernt OS and usage goals /scenario...

If you MUSt upgrade 'just because', you'd want something at least capable of utilizing more than 64 GB of RAM in future (Z170/Z270 are maxed at 64 GB), so I'd look at X99,making a concious effort to avoid X299 until it matures at little....

GIven the number of folks with stability issues with X370 and Ryzen in this forum, I'd likely avoid this platform a little while as well....

jhayat

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2013
Hey - thanks for the answer.

"so Windows 7 is not going to work for 7th or 8th gen Intel chipsets,"

Oooohhhhh. See, this is why I ask! :)

Well, the reason I want to upgrade is not so much for a "faster machine", but b/c I want to add more RAM to my slave, which is maxed out at 24 GB. So, I was going to make this machine my slave, and the new one would replace this... and I figured if I were building a new machine, I would make it "better", faster, etc...

Ok, so I need to look into whether or not my apps will all install and run properly on W10. If so, I will likely go that route instead of another W7 machine.

Assuming that will be the case, what CPUs should I be looking at?

Thanks again.

Pretty sure Z170 works with Windows 7 (with 64 GB cap on memory, chipset limitation), and, it's possible X99 chipset does as well...(supports 128 GB)

I'd do some research on your chosen primary application to see if/how well it scales w/ more cores vs. clock speed, and/or more RAM....and to see if there are Windows 10 issues with the program...

IF win10 works, there are some tremendous deals out there on R7-1700X processors (8 core/16 thread), but, that is of little consequenceif you find out your main program is single threaded, which might mean it would do best on a 7700K by far.

Research...

jhayat

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2013
I am back :)

So, I am going with W10, as I did some research and found out that all of my apps will run and install properly - even those that were written way back when - prior to W8.

I have also learned that my main app is desigined to take advantage of however many cores are present.

So, I am still on the fence about which CPU. Looking on the Intel site, I see, for the same CPU:

Processor Base Frequency - 3.30 GHz
Max Turbo Frequency - 4.30 GHz

Does that mean that OOTB the CPU runs at 3.30, and o'clocked it runs at 4.30?

So, the i9-7900 is 3.30 base, but the i7 that I have now is 3.70. However the i9 has 10 cores and a 13.75MB cache, while the i7 has 4 cores and a 10MB cache. So, what does that mean in terms of speed and overall performance?

And then the i7-6950 is also 10 cores, but the base is 3.20 (slower?), but has a 25MB cache.

How does one go about making a decision here?

Thanks again :)

Base clock is (3.3 GHz, etc..)what all cores operate at normally, and one or two cores might clock/turbo up to the higher 4.x GHz when possible...; overclocking locks cores at desired fixed multiplier if needed...(example: 40 x 100, etc..).

The 6950, for instance, was *insanely* priced compared to the very competitive 1800X; the 6950 was/is priced so high, I would not even consider it, frankly..; for the extra money needed for 6950 over an 1800X, you can pay for the case, good GPU or two, RAM, M.2 drive, etc....