white squares as desktop icons updated question

In the past few weeks i have started getting white squares instead on the correct picture on a desktop short cut. sometimes a few sometimes a lot. sometimes they sort themselves out sometimes they dont. This is what my pc builder told me to try....control panel/power options , choose plan you are on and in advanced expand hard disc tab and change the 0 of turn off hard disc to 10,000 minutes.... it did not fix problem. Any help you or your readers can give would be appreciated. i am windows 10. as the "fix" did not work should i set tab back to 0 minutes.

Solution
Hi, as for the Hard Disk sleep setting, a setting of "0" means "never". A setting of "10,000" means 166+ hours, or about a week. It's unlikely that you'll leave your PC sitting idle for almost a week so I don't really see what the difference is between 0 and 10000. I also don't see how this has anything to do with icons. Maybe your PC builder thought that your hard disk is going to sleep therefore causing the icons not to read correctly. If you are using a SSD, change the setting back to 0. Otherwise, either way is fine.

For the icon problem, try rebuilding the Icon Cache. Be sure to either reboot or restart Explorer when done. [Here are some instructions] on how to do it.

I hope this helps.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, as for the Hard Disk sleep setting, a setting of "0" means "never". A setting of "10,000" means 166+ hours, or about a week. It's unlikely that you'll leave your PC sitting idle for almost a week so I don't really see what the difference is between 0 and 10000. I also don't see how this has anything to do with icons. Maybe your PC builder thought that your hard disk is going to sleep therefore causing the icons not to read correctly. If you are using a SSD, change the setting back to 0. Otherwise, either way is fine.

For the icon problem, try rebuilding the Icon Cache. Be sure to either reboot or restart Explorer when done. [Here are some instructions] on how to do it.

I hope this helps.

Solution