Reset Windows 10, Key or not?

spree01

Honorable
Jun 3, 2016
Hello, my mum got some kind of virus on her laptop, and she asked me to reset it. I won't need a key, or? Nothing has changed inside of her computer, but it is the free upgrade windows 10 running on her PC.

-Thanks

Solution
you wont need a key when resetting computer if it's already activated (quite likely) since you can skip (or are not even asked) about it on resetting it.
The motherboard tied activation is stored online and as long as it's same, it's same and it reactivates.

If computers activation has been tied to microsoft account, that works too as a means of activation/transferring license.
If not, you should be able to re-enter old license code for it to work.

USAFRet

Titan

No, you won't need the license key.
If you're doing a full wipe and reinstall, when it asks for the license key...at the bottom of that window is a link for "I don't have a product key"
Click that and proceed.

you wont need a key when resetting computer if it's already activated (quite likely) since you can skip (or are not even asked) about it on resetting it.
The motherboard tied activation is stored online and as long as it's same, it's same and it reactivates.

If computers activation has been tied to microsoft account, that works too as a means of activation/transferring license.
If not, you should be able to re-enter old license code for it to work.

Solution