Need Help with display adapter/gpu

Anndy651

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017
So i was just casually playing games, decided to go onto warhammer and my recommended graphics was low. I thought that was strange so i went into advanced and it said the graphics it was using was from an Intel(R) HD Graphics 530. My GPU is an NVIDIA GeFORCE GTX 980. They both show up in my device manager and when i disable the Intel 530, instead of switching back to the GPU it goes to Microsoft basic display driver.

I have no idea how to fix this, I have read and tried most things, if anyone can shine some light on this it would be greatly appreciated

mbilal2

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017

Where is your HDMI cable plugged into? Is it a laptop or a computer? 980m or 980?

Anndy651

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017

Its DVI and its plugged straight into the back of the GPU, also its a computer and its a 980

mbilal2

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
First make sure the DVI is plugged into the graphics card and not the motherboard (done in your case). I am generalizing this answer so anyone with similar issues can solve this. If you are on a PC, you might not have all of these options available to you. You should still go through all of them and find what works best for you.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Laptops:
The dedicated GPU and onboard GPU should always be enabled. I suggest you install the Intel(R) HD Graphics driver back from your manufacturers website. Do not disable your Intel GPU.
Nvidia Optimus (laptops) switches from integrated graphics (saves power) to dedicated graphics when it needs to.

Try to run your computer in "Maximum Performance" under windows power settings.

If you uninstall/disable your integrated graphics it'll change from "Intel HD xxxx" to "Microsoft Basic VGA Adapter" and more than likely turn your monitor off.

Go into your Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Global Settings > Select to use High Performance Processor/Nvidia card

If you tried that and it doesn't work, set the individual program (ie. warhammer) to launch with it in the programs list ("Program Settings" directly beside "Global Settings")

This will force games to launch using the Nvidia GPU.

Now for PCs and if the above doesn't work for laptop users:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to surround, PhysX and make sure GTX 980 is selected.

If that still doesn't work, go into the BIOS and do the following:

Disable the on-board graphics, possibly by disabling any shared graphics memory (or setting allocation to automatic).

Or

Set the primary adapter to be the dedicated card, PCI-e x16 or similar (BIOS dependent).

In some cases (mostly laptops) right-click on the game icon and click "Run with graphics processor". You could choose from the options as "integrated graphics" and "High performance Nvidia Graphics".

Cheers:)

Anndy651

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017

Nothing seems to have worked, for some reason when setting the primary graphics to PCIE, it doesn't save it always goes back to CPU Graphics whereas everything else i change saves. I also cant get onto PhysX.

mbilal2

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Oh man that sucks. I would contact NVidia and see what's up with it. GTX 980 is an awesome card and there are not many known issues with it.

Btw if it is an aftermarket GPU (MSI/Asus), you need to download the driver from MSI/Asus' website and NOT from NVidia's website or using GeForee Experience.

Also give me your GPU's model name/number and I'll see if there are any known bugs or hot fixes.

Anndy651

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017

Its an Asus Strix GeForce GTX 980 so maybe i need to look elsewhere for the drivers?

Anndy651

Prominent
Jun 8, 2017

Yeah that is the model, but not sure what i need to download or shall i download it all? also thanks for the help.