Looking to buy large ~42" display for gaming / movies

airwalkrr

Distinguished
May 25, 2012
Howdy all! I have a 40" 1080p which I've been using as my primary display for gaming and its developed artifacts which I can't seem to do much about so it's time for a replacement.

I'm in the USA. Primary use of the monitor is gaming (Overwatch, GTA V, Witcher 3, Civ 6, etc.), although I also use it to watch streaming videos. For resolution I am happy with 1920x1080 although my computer can easily go a bit higher and maintain a 60+ frame rate even while running two displays. I'd like a screen size similar to what I have now: a range of 40" to 46" is what I prefer. Refresh rate of 60 Hz is fine.

My budget is ideally around $500, but I am willing to go higher for quality. Quality hardware is preferred. I would like for the display to last 10 years or more. I've traditionally gone with Samsung and ASUS displays, but I am not married to them. Any quality brand is fine with me. I do prefer reputable online retailers and have both Amazon Prime and ShopRunner.

I'm just replacing a primary display for a desktop. I have a single 980 TI GPU which can support up to four displays, but I have no need for that many. I like the picture I get from DVI dual-link, but HDMI and Display Port work well too so I'm not particular about that. My GPU supports all three.

Thank you very much for the help and recommendations!

Solution
Stick to a 40"-42" 4K Samsung for gaming and if you cant get Samsung then get Sony. Anything bigger is too big believe me I tried.
Im also thinking about getting a new monitor or HDTV but my budget is $1000 and am thinking of getting something 30" to 40"
Samsung seem quicker for gaming while Sony seem slightly nicer for movies just my 2 cents. Ive have both. Other brands might be a tad faster but imagewise you cant beat Sony or Samsung!!

As for subtitles I watch all my movies online nowadays and theres always options for subtitles.

Cheack this place out for help!

https://displaylag.com/best-low-input-lag-tvs-gaming-by-gamers/

airwalkrr

Distinguished
May 25, 2012
I've been looking on my own. I found this monitor seems to have good reviews for gaming.

BenQ XR3501

It does seems a bit expensive for the resolution. But I'm trying to give an example of something I think I might like. I did say my budget was a bit lower, but that's not a huge concern to be honest.

It seems like it would be great for gaming while sitting at the desktop, but I'm also wondering how good it would look from about 9-10 feet away, because I sometimes sit back on the couch to watch movies. (This is why I have the large screen to begin with.) Seems it might be a bit small in that regard. Also, does the fact that it's curved have an appreciable impact on the view from that distance?

Any suggestions along this or a similar style monitor?

airwalkrr

Distinguished
May 25, 2012
I probably also should have pointed out I am partially deaf, so I need to watch movies with subtitles. This is part of the reason for needing a large screen but not necessarily needing high resolution. If I can't read the subtitles while sitting on the couch the display is only doing part of its job.

MrMakapuu

Distinguished
May 13, 2012
Stick to a 40"-42" 4K Samsung for gaming and if you cant get Samsung then get Sony. Anything bigger is too big believe me I tried.
Im also thinking about getting a new monitor or HDTV but my budget is $1000 and am thinking of getting something 30" to 40"
Samsung seem quicker for gaming while Sony seem slightly nicer for movies just my 2 cents. Ive have both. Other brands might be a tad faster but imagewise you cant beat Sony or Samsung!!

As for subtitles I watch all my movies online nowadays and theres always options for subtitles.

Cheack this place out for help!

https://displaylag.com/best-low-input-lag-tvs-gaming-by-gamers/

Solution

airwalkrr

Distinguished
May 25, 2012
Thank you for your suggestion, MrMakapuu!

So this looks like it's right about what I'm looking for: Samsung UN40MU6300FXZA

The price is certainly right, and the brand is one I trust for quality. Looks like it will be great for video. It is definitely an upgrade from the display I currently have. Any concerns I should have about gaming with this display?