Windows 10 Denying Permission

zach_35701

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016
I was having a lot of trouble recently with Windows 8.1. I ended up trying to upgrade to Windows 10, however that did not solve my problems. The only thing that fixed the issues was a full wipe of my SSD, and a clean install of Windows. I decided to just go with Windows 10. Now, it is denying me permission to do a lot of things. There was a folder of a program I didn't want, so I tried to delete it, but Windows told me I did not have permission from the Administrator to do so. Well, I am the only account on this PC, and that account IS an administrator. I literally can't even change my timezone, because I don't have permission, which is extremely ridiculous and frustrating. I have tried a fix I found online where you go to an affected folder, go to the security tab, and attempt to change the permissions that way, but I am just greeted with the error "Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied." I have no idea what else to do.

zach_35701

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016

I think the reason for the installations failing was something I had on my SSD; since when I upgraded, I kept all of my files and settings. However, since I fully wiped, those issues are gone, and this new one has come up.
However, I did run some diagnostics. SSDLife Pro states that my SSD is in "excellent" condition, with Samsung Magician stating it is in "good" health. Also, I ran the diagnostics on my RAM, which came up with no errors. I also tried with some extra sticks of RAM I have in another computer, but the issue still came up.

OK. This could be a bad install of Windows. I hate to put you through a whole other install but that's the most conclusive way to make sure it's not an error in this install of the OS. Options which are less invasive could be run from the installer as well, if you go to "repair this PC" instead of "install Windows"

BTW, what is the Windows install media? Perhaps you could try going back to the media creation tool from Microsoft to re-do the flash drive or burn a new DVD before booting it to make sure it's a good source.

zach_35701

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016

The install media is a 4GB flash drive.
I will try a clean install if we have no other options, however I just remembered. I installed Windows 10 on a laptop just a few days ago using the same install media, and I just checked. It turns out the laptop I installed it on is having the same issue. Should I still try a fresh install?

If both devices have the same problem but the common link was the media, I'd suspect the image on the flash drive is corrupt. I'd use a working system to download the media creation tool and let that create a new copy of the install flash drive, then first try the repair options within the installer. If those don't help, do a fresh install.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Solution

zach_35701

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016

Okay, I am using my brothers PC and a different USB to make a new installation media, then I will install again to see if the issue is fixed.

zach_35701

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016

It was the folder for Google. My reason for this was, a huge problem I was having was Chrome not working. When I upgraded to Windows 10, Chrome still wasn't working, so I saw that the best thing to try was to delete googles folder before trying to reinstall again. However, I was unable to delete this folder due to not having proper permission.

zach_35701

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016

Ah, I see. I clean installed Windows and it is now letting me delete the folder without needing permission, but I'll use this if something similar ever comes up.