Windows 10 reset gone wrong!!!

JoBrooks

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017
My computer was acting really weird so I did a factory reset by going to settings> update and security> recovery> Get started> reset everything. So it went through the whole process and the reinstallization of windows with no interuptions. I was selecting my time zone and everything when I got an error message that read "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info then u can restart." The stop code was Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal and what went wrong mfewpk.sys. After it restarts like 2 or 3 times it says "It looks like windows didn't load correctly" and I have the options for "advanced repair options" and "restart my PC" Under Advamced options I have "continue" "use a device" "Troubleshooting" and "turn off your PC" Under Troubleshooting I have "Reset"---- (which when I try it, it says "there was a problem resetting your PC" )---- "System Restore" "system image recovery" "startup repair" "command prompt" "UEFI Firmware settings" and "startup setting"---(which I've tried going to and entering safe mode but it just makes my computer restart multiple times then the whole error cycle begins again)--- I believe I've tried everything so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Solution
mfewpk.sys is part of McAffee which is odd to find on a full reset

I would do a clean install since you just did a full reset that failed,
on another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel...

Colif

Win 11 Master
mfewpk.sys is part of McAffee which is odd to find on a full reset

I would do a clean install since you just did a full reset that failed,
on another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)

Solution