Every PC game I play crashes

crowed219

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017
Recently I updated my system because my rig was getting quite dated and ever since I've had a problem with playing games, which is what I primarily use my rig for. After a short while of playing (longer if my PC has been off for a while and freshly restarted) games I play will crash in the case of black screening or simply freezing up. In some cases I can still hear any in game noise and can interact with the game still, for instance I can hear a menu open up when I press ESC. One or two games will just freeze up for a couple of seconds and return to normal. I personally believe it to be a GPU issue being that it is the only part I did not update at the time because it was newer than the rest of my rig, from someone with experience does it sound like overheating, or maybe shortage of VRAM, I realize the 760 I am running has a relatively low amount for modern gaming currently. Or maybe it's not my GPU at all? I have monitoring tools such as CPU-Z/GPU-Z if you need to know more.

Specs:
i5-7600k
Corsair Hydro H60
ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero
GTX 760 2GB
16 GB (4x4) Kingston HyperX Fury 2133 Mhz DDR4
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM
Windows 10 Home

kookie3010

Honorable
first of all monitor your gpu temp during idle and ingame with hwinfo or msi afterburner.u wont know if its overheat unless u run a software to monitor the temps.or run furmark and see how hot its get.also have u done any cleaning/repasting to the card?do u have any other card to try to minimise the possibilities being other part of your pc like the Psu,etc,

crowed219

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017

Just browsing the web I sit at about 41° C (maybe lower) the absolute highest temp i have on record is 88° C for my GPU, but some games will crash even with a relatively lower temp. I have not done any repasting however I have cleaned the card multiple times just to make sure that was not the problem. I may have an old 540 sitting around.

crowed219

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017

My system is only slightly overclocked. Just a mode in BIOs that ROG has in place for selection, however the problems appeared before I adjusted anything.

crowed219

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017
I would now like to add that while testing for temps I was playing Subnautica and my entire system crashed with a green-yellow-red, semi transparent screen (I could still see parts of the game behind these pixels)

is it the same at stock settings?

crowed219

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017

Game were still crashing before I OC'd

TRENDING THREADS