Dual monitor HDMI @60 hz safely

H-Cue-

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016
I have a laptop (Clevo x7200) with screen 1920x1080 @60hz and I bought a new monitor to go with it. The new monitor is an IIyama XUB3490WQSU 3440x1440 @ up to 75hz.

For some reason, however, when I plug it through the HDMI port on my laptop, it runs at 30hz and even when I go into display properties I cannot selected 60hz for it. Seeing as my mouse was skipping a lot because of these 30hz, I went into the nvidia control panel and created a custom profile for the new monitor with 60hz instead. Windows tested it, said it was all OK and everything worked for about half an hour when the screen stopped displaying my desktop and showed: "Input Not Supported" out of the blue. This led to a lot of issues with both screens going black and I could only fix it by doing a clean reinstall of my GPU driver (which deletes the 60hz profile I'd created for the new monitor).

So now I'm back with both monitors on, but the big one @ 30hz. How can I safely have it running at 60 without this error occurring again? Any idea why it occurred in the first place? Both screen had the same frequency... now they don't but I get no errors...

Thanks for any help!

How could I

Solution
It *shouldn't* work if it's HDMI 1.3....... but the official spec jump from 1080p to 4K, totally skipping over 1440p variations, so the fact you get 30Hz isn't too, too surprising.

Your alternative now? Run the monitor at a lower resolution (1080p / 60Hz) or return it and replace with a native 1080p/60Hz monitor...... or upgrade your system to support the increased resolutions.

There's really nothing else you can do to make it just "work".

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Which variant of the X7200 do you have? I think they had either 6970's or GTX480M's?

Max support over HDMI is 1920x1280 with the 6970
http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/6000/6970

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gtx-480m/specifications

Both launched right around the implementation of HDMI 1.4 and may well only have HDMI1.3

Assuming it's HDMI 1.3, 30Hz >1080p wasn't there. 1.4 brought 30Hz 4K to the table (appreciating you're not running a 4K monitor, but it's still >1080p).

.Does your laptop have DisplayPort? Would be 1.2 if it does, and is compatible with your monitor. DP 1.2 can drive a 4K monitor @ 75Hz and a 5K monitor @ 30Hz).

H-Cue-

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016
Hey Barty, thanks for the reply.

My clevo is the one with the 480m GTX. Not SLI either. My notebook is pretty old, so it's not HDMI 1.4 and unfortunately I do not have a displayport either, which is why I am using the HDMI. I do have the displayport cable, but not the slot :/

What's my best alternative now? Because if I understood what you wrote correctly.... then it means my monitor isn't supported at all? Still it is working fine with 30hz over HDMI? I might have missed something.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It *shouldn't* work if it's HDMI 1.3....... but the official spec jump from 1080p to 4K, totally skipping over 1440p variations, so the fact you get 30Hz isn't too, too surprising.

Your alternative now? Run the monitor at a lower resolution (1080p / 60Hz) or return it and replace with a native 1080p/60Hz monitor...... or upgrade your system to support the increased resolutions.

There's really nothing else you can do to make it just "work".

Solution

H-Cue-

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016
Yea, I feared that would be the case. I was going to update my system but then life slapped me repeatedly across the face, so it'll have to wait a bit. I don't want to return the monitor because it's really great, so that's why I am looking for the "least worst" solution, which it seems would be to lower the res to 1080p for now. Do you think that the black screens and the "Input Not Supported" error were because of the 1440p instead of 1080p?

Latest posts