Sign in with
Your question

Intel® Core™2 Duo vs Quad Core™ - when and what to buy?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 29, 2006 3:49:39 AM

If you were in the market for a new Intel® CPU, would you either buy the Intel® Core™2 Duo processor E6000 sequence with Intel® Virtualization Technology around Aug-Sep '06, or wait for Quad Core™ technology in Q1 '07? If your an AMD fan, would you choose something else?

The Intel® SIPP 2006 desktop program is from Dec '06 to Nov '07, and during this time the Core™2 Duo will be available in quantity. There may be Quad Core™ based CPU's available early '07, but any real quantities won't be available until Sep '07 through to Aug '08 - this is the Intel® SIPP 2007 program.

With new improved Intel® CPU technology EVERY 15 months, when is a good time to buy???
June 29, 2006 4:17:14 AM

Quote:
If you were in the market for a new Intel® CPU, would you either buy the Intel® Core™2 Duo processor E6000 sequence with Intel® Virtualization Technology around Aug-Sep '06, or wait for Quad Core™ technology in Q1 '07? If your an AMD fan, would you choose something else?

The Intel® SIPP 2006 desktop program is from Dec '06 to Nov '07, and during this time the Core™2 Duo will be available in quantity. There may be Quad Core™ based CPU's available early '07, but any real quantities won't be available until Sep '07 through to Aug '08 - this is the Intel® SIPP 2007 program.

With new improved Intel® CPU technology EVERY 15 months, when is a good time to buy???

You just qualified it with your last sentence, because the best time to buy in the PC industry is never. With new technology always on the horizon, you can find yourself trapped in a neverending cycle of waiting. At some point, you'll just have to suck it up and take the plunge.

I don't see an overwheming need for four cores in a standard PC, even with virtualization. I - and I mean me - would take the Conroe. Quad Cores are an emerging technology and are likely to have kinks - Clovertown and Kentsfield are going to be power whores (100+W), just like the NetBurst generation.

Then again, don't listen to me - I'm a little crazy in the head.
June 29, 2006 4:37:29 AM

Well, if I were you I'd just go with Core 2 Duo since it's pretty solid and it's in the HERE AND NOW. There aren't very many programs that would benefit from a quad-core anyways. The best time to get a quad-core would be after conroe has been out for a while, during which time I'd recommend one, and then waiting for them to cut down on the power-usage of the quad-cores and to give them time to produce software that actually benefits from a quad-core. I hope this answers your question...
June 29, 2006 5:01:03 AM

Thanks for your opinions. I suppose the end user benefits from Quad Core™ technology is a few years away at the earliest, regardless if there is hardware available to support this. Therefore if you are looking at a 2 to 3 year plan (like me), the Intel® Core™2 Duo is probably the way to go.
!