Windows 10 BSOD

misteryodaa

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
Hi! I've been experiencing various BSOD's right now with my newly built system. It's been just over a month a i've had occasional BSOD's which range from IRQL NOT LESS EQUAL, BAD POOL HEADER, or DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION. I've checked with who crashed a it says that it's just a software problem and so no problems with hardware incompatibilities. I would just like to know what to do with this because i'm unsure how to interpret the dump files and what action to take after. Please guide and help me resolve my BSOD issue. Thank you!

My components:
Intel i5-7700K
Hyper X DDR4 8GB 2400mhz (underclocked to 2133mhz)
Asus ROG Maximus Ranger VIII (running latest bios version)
Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti
Transcend SSD220 240GB
Cryorig M9i cooler

Here is the link for the report on Who Crashed:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_JuE4e6fcGONXI2TUMwT0ZULXc/view?usp=sharing

Colif

Win 11 Master
Whocrashed just blaming windows kernel which may have crashed but wasn't the cause.

Can you follow option one here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5560-bsod-minidump-configure-create-windows-10-a.html
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and someone with right software to read them will help you fix it :)

misteryodaa

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017

I followed the steps you prescribed. Here's the latest BSOD dmp file i have. I really hope someone could actually find the cause of the problem because it's frustrating. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_JuE4e6fcGOWHY4TEpjUjVwdnc?usp=sharing

Apart from this dmp file, i would just like to share info. I recently did a windows memory diagnostic and it said that i have a problem with my memory. I tried memtest86 but it resulted to no errors. I only did it once tho, i only have one stick of ram so the test was around 2 hours and it finished. So idk what gives.

try and remove
Asus GPU Tweak and GPU Tweak Streaming
IOMap64.sys Fri Jan 6 00:58:05 2017
and
update
Asus PCProbe Utility
AsIO.sys Wed Aug 22 02:54:47 2012

the memory dump showed corrupted dates of the drivers so I don't know if the driver dates are correct.
the overclocking utility can cause too much power to be used by the graphics system which can cause your power to the CPU to fall too low and cause CPU cache memory problems. (generally you get a different bugcheck though) your bugchecks were in virtual memory so you should also look for updates to your sata driver from your motherboard vendors website also. some of the bugchecks show access to memory address zero which would be invalid, but some showed correct kernel addresses so it is kind of confusing.
the main point was that the errors were in memory management but in virtual memory which is access to your c:\pagefile.sys and would put the problem in the storage system rather than in the physical ram.
(which is why you would update the motherboard drivers for the SATA, as well as the asus probe utility which is very old and is used to check the speed of the system fans and provides a interface to some custom asus tools.

machine info:
BIOS Version 3401
BIOS Starting Address Segment f000
BIOS Release Date 01/25/2017
Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Product MAXIMUS VIII RANGER
Version Rev 1.xx
Processor Version Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7600K CPU @ 3.80GHz
Processor Voltage 8ah - 1.0V
External Clock 100MHz
Max Speed 8300MHz
Current Speed 3800MHz

misteryodaa

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017

Hi! Thank you for you for your suggestion. I'm not quite sure of what you mean by removing the Asus GPU Tweak and GPU Tweak Streaming as i have never installed any ASUS GPU Tweak software. I do however have a GIGABYTE Nvidia GPU which i overclocked. I reverted it back to the default settings as of writing. I also did not have any SATA Mobo Driver which is why i downloaded the Intel Rapid Storage from my mobo's support page and installed it. My SSD's firmware is also updated based on Transcend's SSD Scope program. I'm not also sure what you mean by updating the Asus PCProbe Utility as i have no program installed like that. I apologize in advance if I am not knowledgeable about these things.

Additional question, so do you mean that my RAM module does not necessarily mean it has problems? Because i did a windows memory diagnostic test and its results told me that it had problems with Memory. Does this mean the problem lies on my SSD?

I'll be monitoring my pc from this point on with the changes I have made with your suggestions. I'll upload another dump file once another BSOD happens. (I hope it never comes again)

you should confirm that the motherboard info I read from the memory dump is for your motherboard. sometimes I read the wrong memory dump file when I down load them.

IOMap64.sys Fri Jan 6 00:58:05 2017
is listed as an asus gpu tweaking utility and it is installed on your system.
maybe another vendor also uses it under another name.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The genuine IOMap64.sys file is a software component of Asus PC Probe by ASUS. IOMap64 stands for Input Output Map Driver (64-bit)
ASUS PC Probe is a freeware application designed for the Windows platform that allows users to manage processor and graphics processing unit speeds, monitor and manage system fan RPM, AGP power levels, GPU and RAM temperature. After installation, the program resides in the taskbar and alerts the user on possible hardware issues such as the processor overheating. This program requires an ASUS motherboard as a prerequisite to work.

http://www.file.net/process/iomap64.sys.html

Seems its not part of GPU Tweak (it may be but its not uniquely) It is also part of AI Suite, I have looked into it before. Try removing AI Suite as its well known to cause errors.

gardenman

Splendid
Wow, that's alot of crashing in a very short period of time. In 25 minutes you had 6 BSODs (if I'm reading this correctly). Full dump files info: https://pastebin.com/8YTKm6J7

Dump file: 071417-13406-01.dmp
Crash Date/Time: Thu Jul 13 12:51:05.852 2017
BugCheck: [CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (EF)]
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe
PROCESS_NAME: svchost.exe

Dump file: 071417-13734-01.dmp
Crash Date/Time: Thu Jul 13 12:57:06.597 2017
BugCheck: [SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)]
Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys
PROCESS_NAME: ShellExperienc

Dump file: 071417-4015-01.dmp
Crash Date/Time: Thu Jul 13 12:39:18.021 2017
BugCheck: [KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)]
Probably caused by : win32kbase.sys
PROCESS_NAME: RzSynapse.exe

Dump file: 071417-4031-01.dmp
Crash Date/Time: Thu Jul 13 12:35:44.668 2017
BugCheck: [KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)]
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe
PROCESS_NAME: System

Dump file: 071417-4250-01.dmp
Crash Date/Time: Thu Jul 13 12:59:10.507 2017
BugCheck 1A, {41792, ffff9c3ffdef9068, 9000, 0}
Probably caused by : memory_corruption
PROCESS_NAME: mobsync.exe

Dump file: 071417-5078-01.dmp
Crash Date/Time: Thu Jul 13 12:56:14.618 2017
BugCheck 1A, {41201, ffff87bffede24d8, 1452f0025, ffff8909db2ab9c0}
Probably caused by : memory_corruption
PROCESS_NAME: chrome.exe

I can't help you with this. Wait for someone else to reply. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Don't sell self short Gardenman, you just need to look into what file names mean :)

nvlddmkm.sys = Nvidia Graphics drivers
RZSynapse i= Razer Synapse (wish razer could write better software) device software (can be mouse, kb or headsets I think)
mobsync = mobile synchronisation which is part of windows but odd to see

Try this for Nvidia - http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/clean-graphics-driver-install-windows.html

razer and mobsync might point at you needing to update chipset and USB drivers - https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-RANGER/HelpDesk_Download/

remove Synapse or update it if there is a newer version.
Chrome might be LAN drivers

John probably work it out better than I can :)

gardenman

Splendid
:) I know what some of it means, the Nvidia files and the Razor files and several other drivers, it's just that I already put 30 mins into downloading and reading the dumps. I eventually plan on doing this automagically through custom software if I ever get around to figuring it out.

I'm also working on my "debug cleaner" which now automatically prints my reply for me (in case you haven't noticed)... that's not WhoCrashed. I'm adding more links to more errors as I go. As you can tell above, it already had errors EF, 3B and 139. I've added error 1A now. Just added parameters too, but I don't want to add TOO much to regular forum chat because then it's overly complicated and ugly. Might remove stuff too, it's a work in progress.

most of the memory management errors were in working set with undocumented error codes.
one was a bad page table entry.

I would reset the BIOS to defaults or update the BIOS to the current version. I would do this so that the bios will provide proper power settings to the CPU pins. I would also update the motherboard drivers from the motherboard vendor. I would be looking for updates to the SATA drivers.

other than that I would put the actual memory dump files on a server so someone can take a quick look. often I can see problems with a quick look.

for certain problems it is very useful to change the memory dump type to kernel memory dump, it will cause more hardware info to be saved into the memory dump.

Colif

Win 11 Master
to avoid the obvious question, here is how to make kernel memory dumps, its actually same link as minidumps, just 1 option below it

Can you follow option one here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Kernel Memory Dump on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here

misteryodaa

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
Hi! Okay so i'd just like to give you guys an update on my current situation. I've recently learned that i actually inserted my RAM on the wrong DIMM slot for a single channel RAM. I have since then corrected it. However, 2 BSOD's happened just recently when i was trying to open Google Chrome. It was both labeled as IRQL NOT LESS EQUAL. After two BSOD's i downclocked my RAM to 2133mhz again (i was running at 2400mhz because that's the normal speed of my RAM when i bought it) and now it's running fine (i think).

Link to Dump Files: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_JuE4e6fcGORzUwNnBIRHJQcnM?usp=sharing

Regarding the Kernel Memory Dump files, i just changed the dump file type as of writing. I'll be uploading some once another BSOD pops up.

I also have a question, could this be a bad case of RAM module? Should i buy a new one?

I would go here and pick up the bios update, and the sata driver update. it is 3 months newer than the generic one you have installed currently. you might want to install the other drivers also. the memory dump shows bogus dates on all of your drivers so I an not tell which ones you have installed. the Microsoft generics or the custom ones for your motherboard. I think the bad dates in the memory dump are do to the new Microsoft in memory compression and broken debugger updates that Microsoft has not fixed yet.
--------
the system was freeing up virtual memory, when it does that it decrements a counter and the counter underflowed so it became a negative number. Then the system called a bugcheck because it assumed there was some corruption of the data.

first thing I would do would be to update any storage drivers for your sata chipset from the motherboard vendors website.

machine info:
BIOS Version 3401
Version Rev 1.xx
External Clock 100MHz
Max Speed 8300MHz
Current Speed 3800MHz

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-RANGER/HelpDesk_Download/
I would go here and pick up the bios update, and the sata driver update. it is 3 months newer than the generic one you have installed currently. you might want to install the other drivers also. the memory dump shows bogus dates on all of your drivers so I an not tell which ones you have installed. the Microsoft generics or the custom ones for your motherboard. I think the bad dates in the memory dump are do to the new Microsoft in memory compression and broken debugger updates that Microsoft has not fixed yet.
--------
the system was freeing up virtual memory, when it does that it decrements a counter and the counter underflowed so it became a negative number. Then the system called a bugcheck because it assumed there was some corruption of the data.

first thing I would do would be to update any storage drivers for your sata chipset from the motherboard vendors website.

machine info:
BIOS Version 3401
Version Rev 1.xx
External Clock 100MHz
Max Speed 8300MHz
Current Speed 3800MHz

misteryodaa

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017

I have installed the SATA driver, Audio Driver, Lan Driver, and Chipset Driver. Still got 2 BSOD's right after restarting after installing these drivers. As for my Mobo's BIOS version, i think i'm running the latest since i have a Kaby Lake in a Z170 motherboard and that version 3401 is actually the latest according to the mobo's support page.

Edit: I've uploaded another DMP file because another BSOD happened when i tried opening chrome after a reboot

Link to Dump Files: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_JuE4e6fcGOZUQtS3ZNNmwyNVk?usp=sharing

misteryodaa

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
Okay guys i think i found the problem. The first memtest86 i did didn't result into any errors so i completely dismissed having a bad RAM module. Out of desperation i just tried testing it again and when it got to the Hammer test all hell broke loose. Right now it's still running and i have exactly 41,224 ERRORS and counting. I guess i just really have a bad RAM module that i need to replace. I'm going to RMA this and while waiting, i'll buy a new module. I'll update you guys on the status of my PC but thank you so much for everyone who tried helping me. Much appreciated! :D

misteryodaa

Prominent
Jul 5, 2017
UPDATE: I now have a new RAM module and returned the defective one to the manufacturer. As of right now, i've been using my system for over 6 hours now and nothing has happened. I guess the RAM module was really the problem. Thanks for the help guys!