Various BSODs w/ i770k and Asus Maximus VIII Hero

YeahThanksCoach

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
Hello!

Built a new computer a few days ago and have been experiencing significant BSOD issues when under gaming load and also occasionally while idling or on boot. The stop codes on crash have been a variety of different things.

irql_not_less_or_equal
page_fault_in_nonpaged_area
kmode_exception_not_handled
etc.

I downloaded windbg to try to analyse the minidumps and see if a specific driver would be recognized as the fault. But that avenue has yielded almost as many conflicting stories. The bugcheck analysis has recognized ntkrnlmp.exe as the problem more often than not.

I ran driver verifier to see if that crashed the cpu, and it did. So I went through and manually updated as many drivers as possible, deleting and redownloading some but that wasn't working. At that point I took a fresh HDD with a new Windows 7 OS and went through a clean install of brand new drivers on the new OS and HDD, and it still crashed. I thought I had the problem nailed during the Windows 7 checks as removing one of the RAM sticks seemed to cause the BSODs to stop. When I replaced the main Windows 10 OS it worked for a brief time, but then the RAM I thought was good saw the BSOD as well.

I attempting running on board graphics and removing my GPU but that failed too. I ran memcheck86 on the cards for about 2 hours with no errors. I'm at about the limit of my knowledge on what could be left, and I don't really know how to analyse the deeper parts of the windbg reports, so I could use a hand. My thoughts at this point are a bad motherboard. Maybe the DIMM slots since the RAM interaction was a bit strange. But currently still BSODs every time I run certain games.

My specs are

CPU: Intel i7-7700k
GPU: Nvidia 980ti Classified
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz
SSD: Samsung 840 128gb (running the OS)
HDD: Toshiba T01ACA200 2TB (for files and applications)
Cooler: Corsair H100i v2
PSU: EVGA 750 v2

Solution
can you upload the memory.dmp file from c/windows folder to a file sharing site and share here, someone will read it and might help resolve issue.

driver verifer makes PC bsod, getting one after it is expected and you should then analyse the dump it creates to find cause., Can you download and run who crashed - it will give us a glimpse of the errors you getting and might help us solve them

Copy/paste summary in here and I see what I can do :)

irq errors normally either drivers or ram, page fault in non paged area is the same, drivers or ram, and the last is normally drivers.

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you upload the memory.dmp file from c/windows folder to a file sharing site and share here, someone will read it and might help resolve issue.

driver verifer makes PC bsod, getting one after it is expected and you should then analyse the dump it creates to find cause., Can you download and run who crashed - it will give us a glimpse of the errors you getting and might help us solve them

Copy/paste summary in here and I see what I can do :)

irq errors normally either drivers or ram, page fault in non paged area is the same, drivers or ram, and the last is normally drivers.

Solution