Best 1080p monitor for triple monitors?

Curbo34

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016
So I'm looking for a good monitor to run 3 of for gaming. The ideal is triple 1080p, ips, vesa mountable, 60hz, with minimal gap between actual display sections (Some "slim bezel" monitors have a large black section between the bezel and the screen and trying to avoid that sort of thing) currently it's looking like a Asus VP239H-P is the way to go for me. My budget is basically as cheap as possible per monitor, although I'm willing to pay up to $220(give or take) if the display is something really nice.
Here's my PC not that it's important for this, planning to go SLI 970s or maybe a 1070/1080 later on.
CPU: R5 1500x
GPU: GTX 970SSC
Mobo: ASUS Prime X370-Pro
RAM: 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance LED.
PSU: CX600M (Will change if SLI)

Thanks for suggestions/help/feedback.

Solution
SLI 970s is a very logical candidate for SLI ... 10xx series much less so. Done dozens of SLI builds, have yet to see any "issues" outside the occasional unsupported game .... If ya were looking look at twin 970s versus a 980 when the cards were current:

a) Two 970s was cheaper and gave ya twice the game coupons
b) The average increase in scaling performance was 70% (and that includes the 0's for unsupported games) in techpowerup's 17 game test suite which put it 40% faster than the 980.
c) In the more demanding games, scaling was in the mid 90%
d) In the end, you were on average 40% faster, 55% in the more demanding ones with the SLId 970s ... when the 980 was faster because no SLI support in those 3 or 4 games, they were single...
1) Don't go multi-GPU at all; too many issues. Yes, a GTX1070 or 1080 is a good choice.

2) Have you gamed on a TRIPLE monitor setup?
I have and I think it sucks, but it's up to you. Games are often warped too much on the sides, or don't support it at all.

As for the BEZEL GAP, even if it's fairly small it's still really annoying.

3) Start here: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/

4)* a 3440x1440 monitor would give you a much better experience IMO:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yhM323/dell-monitor-u3415w

a) more vertical lines of resolution (1440 vs 1080) makes a huge difference
b) less hassle moving programs around
c) no bezel gap
d) HUGE DIFFERENCE IN GAMES that need high pixel density like CIV series, Starcraft 2, but any game looks better to some degree due to the text/HUD sharpness and improved ALIASING (less jagged edges)

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3KL7YJ/acer-xr342ck-340-3440x1440-75hz-monitor-xr342ck-bmijpphz

This one supports FREESYNC (requires R9-260X or newer AMD card) but otherwise it works like a normal monitor. It supports it over 30Hz to 75Hz meaning that it also supports below 30Hz (resends each frame to stay in asynchronous mode).

Basically if you tweak the game to average about 60FPS you should stay in the "SMOOTH" zone, though I'd probably set a GLOBAL CAP of about 70FPS so you don't hit 75Hz and default to VSYNC ON (confusing I know). For some reason on Freesync and GSync if you get close to the top end you get stutter/judder issues so you have to experiment but dropping 5FPS seems to be fine.

*Having said that, my experience with DELL has been excellent for warranty on the higher-priced items (I paid NOTHING to return or have product shipped.. came with pre-paid waybill). My experience with Acer has been so-so so you'd need to do your research.

Curbo34

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016

1) Multi GPU would only happen if I got a really killer deal from friends. Thanks for the tip though, will be watching 1080 prices.

2) I haven't, but I'm a little odd and I think I'd really enjoy it.

3) Already been through, as well as searching other sites for a while. Came up with the VP239H.

4) I've played on my friends 3440x1440p 34" curved LG ultrawide, was fun but wasn't the feeling I'm going for, great for most people though.

A) I'm actually stuck in 2006 right now, on a 1440x900p monitor so 1080p will still be a nice upgrade.
B) Simple fact, something I can move past.
C. Fact, very nice for some not a deal breaker for me.
D) Once again, fair point, not a huge thing to me again though.

SLI 970s is a very logical candidate for SLI ... 10xx series much less so. Done dozens of SLI builds, have yet to see any "issues" outside the occasional unsupported game .... If ya were looking look at twin 970s versus a 980 when the cards were current:

a) Two 970s was cheaper and gave ya twice the game coupons
b) The average increase in scaling performance was 70% (and that includes the 0's for unsupported games) in techpowerup's 17 game test suite which put it 40% faster than the 980.
c) In the more demanding games, scaling was in the mid 90%
d) In the end, you were on average 40% faster, 55% in the more demanding ones with the SLId 970s ... when the 980 was faster because no SLI support in those 3 or 4 games, they were single digit fps advantages.

With 10xx, SLI performance has been disappointing .... several reasons have been offered but I think the most logical is that nVidia loses money when you buy (2) x70s instead of the x80 and have been intentionally gimping the x70s for several generations. With AMD offering nothing to challenge nVidia outside the RX 570, the only sales which would be hurt by improved SLI performance would be the 1080 and 1080 Ti.

Normally, since you already have a 970, I would say that a 2nd one is the "best bang for the buck option". But the SC models are essentially just reference cards with a nice cooler and EVGA has had their issues with memory and VRM cooling for quite some time. So I'd be hesitant to stack two SC / SSC models, especially as your slot arrangement allows just one slot space in between cards

As to the monitor choices...

Yes ... the best monitors are IPS. That does not mean the the best $220 IPS monitor is better than the best $220 monitor. At that price range, there is not a single IPS monitor I'd consider fast enough for gaming. Don't come back with advertised response and lag times, they are all BS. read any monitor review on tftcentral to see how bad this really is.

If I were you, instead of springing for 3 x 1080p, Id grab an Acer Predator 165 Hz, IPS w/ AU Optronics screen. This is the ebst gaming experience currently available.... next month the 4k AU Optronics 144 hz screens should drop which I expect will set the new standard.

If ya stuck on the 3 x 1080p idea, Id get the Asus VG248QEs

Solution