4k or 1440p? 1080ti or 1080?

TheDownfall

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
This is a little bit of a read but I'll explain. I'm in a little bit of a pickle. I'm planning a build that I'm going to build in a week or two, and was going to get a 1070, in respects to graphics as I currently have a 770. However due to the price increases I might be swindled into getting a 1080. The cpu I will get is the i5 7600k

Now I'm doing more thinking and considering the 1080ti, as it seems to be able to ultra at 4k or high settings, and that's all I'll need for the next few years. I'm not trying to throw more money at it for a while, probably at least 3 to 4 years I do t want to have to upgrade it. So with that logic the 1080ti makes sense.

Here's my second concern. I need a monitor to use it with. I have a regular 1080p monitor that I'm Trying to replace anyway. I also have a Vizio e series 55' 4k tv. Due to the response times and such the tv wouldn't be my main display but I'd use it for the HDR and 4k.

So now that I need a new screen I have to decide what to get. I'm deciding between a 1440p 144hz or a 4k monitor. Obviously there are more factors to consider for the screen and that's why I want your opinions. A 4k gaming monitor with nice refresh is a little pricey to pair with the 1080ti and might not even be worth it because if the resolution at a sub 30" monitor. What would you do?

Also if you have any recommendations that would be nice. Really trying to not spend more than 400 max on a screen

Solution
^^Excellent choice. Dell has way better build quality than ASUS. Keep in mind however that it is a TN panel so viewing angle will not be the same as an IPS, PLS, or AHVA panel. You will need to set it up at the proper eye level to keep the washout from off-center viewing. The upside is the faster response time. My 1440p is also a Dell (model U2713H) but is IPS.

Go 27". You will not be happy with the 24" and have buyer's remorse. Been there, done that. It's worth it. I sit about 20" from my monitor and it is perfect for gaming (mostly racing games with a wheel). That may be too close for some. Keep in mind however you will have more eye movement to look around at everything while gaming vs. a smaller monitor.
In my opinion, get the 1440p 144Hz monitor. The 1080ti isn't going to run everything on ultra at 4k, currently I think the Titan Xp is the best card possible for the 4k, but even that isn't much better than the 1080ti.

Plus, the 1080 does well at 1440p too, so you could just stay on the 1080 and save some cash. It's up to you, but I personally don't find 4k to be all that worth it at the moment

I would get a faster 144Hz 1440p 27" monitor with G-sync. However, with your budget at $400 (I'm assuming that's USD), you would not find one at that price. Amazon has a 24" one (https://www.amazon.com/Dell-S2417DG-YNY1D-24-Inch-LED-Lit/dp/B01IOO4SGK) but for me 24" is just too small at that resolution.

So that gets you back to a 4K monitor which would match your TV's resolution. Honestly $400 is not a lot to work with at this level of monitors (4K 60Hz vs. faster 1440p). Dell has a 27" 4K TN panel in your price range that has good reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-S2817Q-Screen-LCD-Monitor/dp/B01BBOC16O

1) first, I'd get the i7-7700K based on how much you're spending on other parts and wanting the PC to last.

2) Second, I'd get the GTX1080 as it's almost $200 difference vs a similar GTX1080Ti.

GTX1080 - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Yh8H99/evga-geforce-gtx-1080-8gb-sc2-gaming-icx-video-card-08g-p4-6583-kr
GTX1080Ti - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/q438TW/evga-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-11gb-sc2-video-card-11g-p4-6593-kr

I don't like any of the cheaper models such as the Founders Edition, Zotac etc.

Also, I'd put the cost difference towards the CPU or monitor instead.

3) Monitor:
- 4K is a bit problematic for DPI scaling (and cost vs screen quality).
- GSYNC is really awesome but adds roughly $200 to the cost (about $700 to $750)
- THIS one is $500 (2560x1440, IPS, 4ms, 144Hz)
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/c298TW/asus-monitor-mg279q

4) When you get a 144Hz monitor that is NOT asynchronous (GSYNC, Freesync with supported video card) then you should learn how to use this feature in the NVidia Control Panel->

Vertical Sync (adaptive Half Refresh)

NCP-> manage 3d settings->... add game-> (settings)-> save

*That will then lock you to 72FPS VSYNC ON, but if you can't output 72FPS it will just turn VSYNC OFF (usually screen tearing with VSYNC OFF is better than the added stutter when you have VSYNC ON but can't meet the FPS cap).

5) 144FPS VSYNC ON?
I'll repeat so it's clear. Very few games will run at 144FPS without severe graphical downgrades (so what's the point). But you don't want to simply turn VSYNC ON because you'll get stuttering as I said above.

In some games VSYNC OFF is okay as the screen tearing may not be obvious. You will have to experiment on a per-game basis but for MOST games you should be using:
a) VSYNC half adaptive refresh (72FPS), or
b) VSYNC OFF (i.e. 100FPS+ for faster shooters otherwise stick with above half adaptive method for slower games)

SUMMARY:
It's a bit of a BUDGET BALANCING issue so I leave it to you, but I think my points are made.

(also to add, desktop at 144Hz will feel much smoother than at 60Hz. Moving the cursor and dragging programs will feel more "real".)

TheDownfall

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
When I got the tv the first thing I noticed was the scaling. Windows scaled for and most games did but my favorites didn't seem to scale at all.
In regards to the i7, it seems a little overkill for just games, but I don't know what the future of CPUs and gaming is so might as well, considering it's less than $100 more.

As for the monitor GSync would be a must.

And for the GPUs, the 1080ti seems to be 20-25% more powerful so I might as well go for the 1080ti. I'm not trying to upgrade or touch this thing at all for the next few years.

Thinking about it now if I get the 1440p monitor the 1080 should handle everything just fine, and I don't know what else games could add. But on the other hand, 144hz sounds very desirable and the possibility of 60fps on 4k, even if I have to dial down AA, is great.

I guess I'm just going to have to throw more cash and build a monster

At 4K there is little to zero difference between an i5 and i7. Save that money and put it towards a G-sync monitor and 1080Ti. You'll be good for 3-4 years on that GPU - or you can sell it for still a decent price next year when the Volta GTX 3080Ti comes out (rumor is that Nvidia is going to do a Pascal refresh this fall in wait for Volta - 2xxx series - similar to what they did with Kepler 6xx to 7xx series).

Also, watch out for ASUS monitors. I tried two different 27" 1440p variants about three years ago and had to return both. One was due to the amount of dead pixels, the other had severe backlight bleeding (thankfully Fry's Electronics takes things back without question). Seems their quality is hit or miss, and reading reviews of today's monitors made by them, especially in the upper tiers, that still seems to be the case.

TheDownfall

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I was thinking that same thing about the cpu but wasn't completely certain. I've been hearing they're making games more cpu intensive so perhaps the i7 would be a good idea there. And when it comes to prices a 1440 144hz seems to be about the same prices as a 60hz 4k.

As for volta, ive been sitting on my 770 for what seems like years now. And seeing as the 1080ti does anything on 4k on ultra or very high, and 4k isn't even standard yet, I think I'm good on that front. But I'll cross that volta bridge when I get there.

I'll take your comments about Asus monitors into consideration. They make some pretty nice things as far as I'm concerned. Guess I'll just read reviews buy and large. Thanks

Again, at 4K, it's all on the GPU no matter how CPU intensive the game is. This will not be changing any time soon. Here are a few case examples even at 1440p showing little difference between an i5 6600K Skylake and i7 7740X Kaby Lake. And my guess any variance seen is more towards the difference in clock speed than the chip itself (6600k @ 3.5GHz vs. 7740X @ 4.2GHz).

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_core_i7_7740x_processor_review,20.html
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_core_i7_7740x_processor_review,21.html
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_core_i7_7740x_processor_review,19.html

TheDownfall

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I don't think I'm going to go for the 4k. I'm not trying to get a huge screen. If I want 4k that bad I can settle for the tv. So I'm pretty much just deciding on the screen. If I really need to I can just work some more days and get a 1440p extrawide screen and get the 1080ti and an i7, just to make sure I'm all good for the future.

TheDownfall

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I found the screen I will get. Has 1440p, g-sync, and 144hz, 27" for $449.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0149QBOF0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_FttzzbDBAC1H1

They also have the same model but 24" for $20 cheaper. I don't plan on being too far away from my screen so either choice would work for me. Maybe the density would make things look better in the 24". Maybe not, maybe 27" is the better size. I'm probably going to go for the 27" but if any of you have an opinion about it I'd like to hear it

^^Excellent choice. Dell has way better build quality than ASUS. Keep in mind however that it is a TN panel so viewing angle will not be the same as an IPS, PLS, or AHVA panel. You will need to set it up at the proper eye level to keep the washout from off-center viewing. The upside is the faster response time. My 1440p is also a Dell (model U2713H) but is IPS.

Go 27". You will not be happy with the 24" and have buyer's remorse. Been there, done that. It's worth it. I sit about 20" from my monitor and it is perfect for gaming (mostly racing games with a wheel). That may be too close for some. Keep in mind however you will have more eye movement to look around at everything while gaming vs. a smaller monitor.

Solution