BSOD when playing games

Menanico

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
Hello everybody, i would really love some help for my problem; I keep getting different BSOD while i play some games (like Dragon Age or Assasin's Creed) while if i play games like League of legends or Starcraft 2 i get no error at all.
My hardware are MSI z77a-gd55, nvidia geforce gtx 760, Intel(R)_Core(TM)_i5-2500K_CPU_@_3.30GHz.
I have some whocrashed report here:

On Tue 04/07/2017 11:15:05 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\070417-5546-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x16C4C0)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x1FF4D9, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF80381ACCC94)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 04/07/2017 11:15:05 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: storport.sys (storport!StorPortExtendedFunction+0x626)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x1FF4D9, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF80381ACCC94)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\storport.sys
description: Microsoft Storage Port Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 28/06/2017 19:23:09 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062817-5265-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x16C3F0)
Bugcheck code: 0x154 (0xFFFFAB09ABCE2000, 0xFFFFC20201384700, 0x2, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Thank you and sorry for my bad english.

Solution
inf files just tell windows what CPU you have, you not really missing much there.

I don't know what is problem, I would suggest you follow steps on this page and ask on here as they have more people who can actually understand dump files, gardenman and myself really don't know them as well as we would like: https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/

link to here so you don't get asked to do things twice.

its something to do with storage but I am not sure what, if they answer it, come back and tell us what solution was :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
check you have latest sata drivers for motherboard... but having looked, latest there are win 8.1. Motherboard only has 1 win 10 driver and its sound drivers.

You might want to install this and see what it finds - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24345/Intel-Driver-Update-Utility

storpoint.sys is something to do with hdd drivers, hence my suggesting sata drivers.
ntoskrnl = windows kernel, it crashed but wasn't the cause.

Menanico

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
Today i had two new bsod, i never had them before:

On Wed 12/07/2017 13:47:11 your computer crashed
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgmms2.sys (dxgmms2!VidMmInterface+0x401C1)
Bugcheck code: 0x154 (0xFFFF938E90ABD000, 0xFFFFD3008F735E00, 0x2, 0x0)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgmms2.sys
description: DirectX Graphics MMS
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 12/07/2017 01:00:09 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\071217-5437-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x0, 0x501, 0x500, 0xFFFFF80184600348)
Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).

Colif

Win 11 Master
dxgmms2.sys = DirectX Graphics MMS. Normally caused by GPU drivers so try http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/clean-graphics-driver-install-windows.html

Can you follow option one here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5560-bsod-minidump-configure-create-windows-10-a.html
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and someone with right software to read them will help you fix it :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have read that the latest Nvidia drivers don't play well with the GTX 700 series so it might be them causing it still. when you clean installed drivers, where did you get them from? I had to run ddu on weekend as latest drivers were causing odd behaviour on my 980, and I let windows update install the drivers MS have.

I can't read dumps but there are a few here who can, maybe they find another thing to blame.

Menanico

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
I downloaded the latest one from here http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang= searching my model
I hope that these few can help me as best as they can.

Menanico

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
Latest 3 bsod of today, some are different:

On Wed 12/07/2017 19:31:14 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\071217-5015-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xEF (0xFFFFB687FC788280, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
Bug check description: This indicates that a critical system process died.
There is a possibility this problem was caused by a virus or other malware.

On Wed 12/07/2017 19:31:14 your computer crashed
This was probably caused by the following module: ntdll.sys (ntdll!NtTerminateProcess+0x14)
Bugcheck code: 0xEF (0xFFFFB687FC788280, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
Bug check description: This indicates that a critical system process died.
There is a possibility this problem was caused by a virus or other malware.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ntdll.sys .
Google query: ntdll.sys CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

On Wed 12/07/2017 19:00:38 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\071217-5968-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x154 (0xFFFFC706F16C5000, 0xFFFFA701CF805060, 0x2, 0x0)

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I downloaded the 4 dumps that you posted earlier and got the following information: https://pastebin.com/yaLyuAX4

Dump file: 062817-5265-01.dmp
Crash Date/Time: Wed Jun 28 13:23:09.067 2017
BugCheck 154, {ffffab09abce2000, ffffc20201384700, 2, 0}
Probably caused by : hardware_disk
PROCESS_NAME: MemCompression

Dump file: 070417-5546-01.dmp
Crash Date/Time: Tue Jul 4 05:15:05.365 2017
BugCheck: [IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)]
Probably caused by : memory_corruption
PROCESS_NAME: System

Dump file: 071217-5140-01.dmp
Crash Date/Time: Wed Jul 12 07:47:11.709 2017
BugCheck 154, {ffff938e90abd000, ffffd3008f735e00, 2, 0}
Probably caused by : hardware_disk
PROCESS_NAME: MemCompression

Dump file: 071217-5437-01.dmp
Crash Date/Time: Tue Jul 11 19:00:09.867 2017
BugCheck: [DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)]
Probably caused by : storport.sys
PROCESS_NAME: System

I cannot help you with this, wait for Colif or someone else to reply. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION bug check has a value of 0x00000154. This indicates that the store component caught an unexpected exception.

wish I knew what that error meant. Its blaming hardware_disk as the cause of two of those errors. I am just not sure. Storport is something to do with scsi which is used by SSD

Do you have an ssd? Can you run free version of http://www.hdtune.com/ on your PC and see the health of your drive?

What are specs of PC?

Menanico

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
Yes i have an SSD but i'm not sure about all my specs, i wrote the one i know in the first post:
Mobo: Msi z77a-gd55
Gpu: Nvidia geforce gtx 760
Cpu: Intel i5-2500k 3.30 ghz
RAM: 8,00 GB

Colif

Win 11 Master

9h3tyoH.png

click on the health tab, that will show us the smart scores for the drive and may tell us more. SSD may have enough spare block that those may not be effecting it yet, its hard to say.

you can't fix bad blocks but ssd may not be using them.

Colif

Win 11 Master
YOu can see if chkdsk /f helps

open command prompt (admin)
type chkdsk c: /f and press enter
2 paragraphs will pop up asking if you want to run at start up, click Y and restart PC so it can scan system files, it might help.

otherwise you might need to think about getting a new SSD as its almost got a full line of damaged blocks and its only going to get more of them. I would get a 250gb ssd at least as its minimum size I would run win 10 on now.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Drive health says its OK, windows may have marked those blocks as bad already and is working around them. its still something to think about.

Did you run that Intel driver update as if its not the drive, it has to be the drivers. Your board hasn't got any win 10 drivers apart from sound which makes it difficult.

do you only have 1 drive in PC? is Hearthstone on the ssd?

Do you have the latest BIOS? https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z77AGD55.html#down-bios

Menanico

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
I did run it and it finded only one driver called "Primarily for Intel chipset products, this intel chipset device software /10.1.1.14) installs the windows* INF files." but every time i try to install the driver it fails.
I have 2 drive and heartstone is in the ssd and yes, i have the latest BIOS.

Colif

Win 11 Master
inf files just tell windows what CPU you have, you not really missing much there.

I don't know what is problem, I would suggest you follow steps on this page and ask on here as they have more people who can actually understand dump files, gardenman and myself really don't know them as well as we would like: https://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/

link to here so you don't get asked to do things twice.

its something to do with storage but I am not sure what, if they answer it, come back and tell us what solution was :)

Solution

gardenman

Splendid

Open Event Viewer. On the left, go to Windows Logs and click on Application. Under the "Source" column, look for Wininit. You should be able to find the chkdsk results. Paste the results here or in a [pastebin] (then provide the link here).

Source: https://askleo.com/how_do_i_see_the_results_of_a_chkdsk_that_ran_on_boot/