Repeated Excel Crashes in Win10

jillynjade

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
My Excel is crashing in Windows 10 repeatedly, where do I find the error log?

I'm using a brand new computer, 3 months old, and it's been doing this since day 1. Geek Squad said it was due to a conflict between McAfee and web-based reports I'm accessing. We deleted McAfee and it worked for a while. Then it started again - so I removed the other virus trial software. Worked okay for a few weeks, now it's doing it again - up to 3-4x a day. I cannot have this happening. I work with gigantic Excel files (4-10K lines of data per file) all day, every day.

Thanks

jillynjade

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
Here's my system info - I hope this gives you enough info. And for the record, I agree with your #1 and always have. Office 16, and my Excel is installed on the local computer, not Excel or Office 365. The files I'm accessing though are from a web-based payroll software system.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.15063 Build 15063
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name JILLYNCHRIS-LAP
System Manufacturer LENOVO
System Model 80ST
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU LENOVO_MT_80ST_BU_idea_FM_Lenovo ideapad 310-15ABR
Processor AMD A12-9700P RADEON R7, 10 COMPUTE CORES 4C+6G, 2500 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date LENOVO 1LCN32WW, 9/5/2016
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 1.32
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer LENOVO
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.15063.0"
User Name JILLYNCHRIS-LAP\Jill
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.39 GB
Available Physical Memory 3.57 GB
Total Virtual Memory 9.19 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.27 GB
Page File Space 1.80 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

USAFRet

Titan
Depending on how exactly you are talking to the remote Excel file, pulling 4-10k rows through a web interface may be problematic.

Nothing to do with your AV, or even your system specs.

But treating Excel as a DB and trying to access it as a DB is problematic.

I notice you have HyperV installed.
Are you using that to access the Excel file? If so, then the above pseudo-DB comments may not be the issue.

jillynjade

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

Thanks for the quick reply. As far as I can tell, I'm not using the HyperV (if I understand it correctly, it serves as a virtual machine to access particular servers).

I am using Excel as a DB though - with multiple records (rows of data), and one header row. My web software uses Excel (or *.csv) to export or import data. I do have blank cells on some records, and I did read that this could cause problems. Since I end up having to apply filters, and often subtotals as well, it's pretty heavy on the calculation side. I figured this was causing the problem - that it's just too much.

It's driving me batty because it always seems to crash exactly when I don't need it to do that, or I'm in a hurry to finish something. I did find that my second virus software had reactivated itself, so I turned it off again and I'll keep an eye on it.

I really appreciate the help!