Looking for graphics card, market suggestions

BrokeCollegeKid

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013
Right now I'm running on a 3770K@4.4GHz, GTX 660 SLI, EVGA 850W power supply. I would like to start moving towards a more modern build, starting with the gfx card. I play most triple-A titles, really just looking to do max settings 1080p, budget $300 +/- 50. New is a must, yes I know I'm limiting myself.

From what I can tell, the market is in the gutter right now. I can either tone down to high settings with a 1050ti for cheaper, overkill with a 1070 for mid 400s+, or try to snatch a rx580 in a minutes rush as they come in stock. 1060 is an option, but I play doom a lot so the rx has an edge. Is that all right?

If I had my way, I'd get the 580, so as a secondary question: how much difference is there really, and do I have to be picky? I'm seeing the sapphire LE being touted as king but as someone who already uses afterburner, can't I grab any 8gb card without being picky and make it perform (mostly) the same manually or does it have tricked out power delivery or something?

Thanks for any help

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Doom (2016) plays well with either card, Nvidia or AMD. But yes, using Vulkan the AMD cards perform the best. But unless you want to pay outrageous prices for the AMD card, I suggest going with Nvidia at this time. While they are also hitting record prices, they are cheaper than their AMD equivalent.

The GTX 1060 6GB is probably the wisest choice right now for your budget. And at 1080p 60 Hz, there's few games it can't max out settings with. And 6GB is more than fine for 1080p textures in any game. Even DE:MD, which is a real VRAM hog at ultra.

Crossvxm

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016

Man what a username! LOL!

The 1070 isn't overkill for 1080p, don't be fooled as I was. There are still games that will struggle to max out at 1080p with the 1070. GTA V is amongst them, which not even my 1080 Ti can max out at 1080p 60FPS without a few dips. A few other titles also struggle. The Witcher 3 can ALMOST be maxed out as well by the 1070, but get too close to Geralt with the Hairworks at all of its max settings and the frames will stutter. The only problem I see with it is, well good luck getting one cheap as the prices have gotten ridiculous (my 1080 Ti is either sold out or sitting at $819.99 currently when I purchased it for less on its first availability).

As for the 1060, see how it handles Doom and GTA V at max. There is a difference in processor, but meh.

Doom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2U53VdZwuM

GTA V: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqd81Vt81CA

The 1050 Ti to me is well...not a preferable option. I had a 680 and I was feeling a bit of the hit in games with intense graphics, and they're ALMOST identical in performance.