Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Buy Intel® Pentium D 960 now or wait for Intel® Core™ 2 Duo?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
June 26, 2006 12:17:55 PM

Argh!! I'm wanting to buy a new PC very soon, but with the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo edging towards mass release I am at a loss for what to do when it comes to getting a good-great CPU! Ok, there are performance benchmarks which suggest the entry-level Core™ 2 Duo's will blow away all current CPU offerings, and there is talks of RRP's below $1k (is this $US?), but how long do I have to wait??? I live in Australia and I can't find any solid info as to even a speculated release date and price (in $AU)....

If I don't wait, I plan on buying the Intel® Pentium D 960 as its at the best price-performance mid point (for me locally that is). I'm not looking at any AMD based CPU's - not because of any performance / price reasons but simply because I am brand-loyal to Intel (a little lame but blah).

So, my question to you great THG readers....
Should I buy the Intel® Pentium D 960 now or wait for the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo (probably the 2.66 GHz)? :roll:
June 26, 2006 12:22:49 PM

Quote:
Argh!! I'm wanting to buy a new PC very soon, but with the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo edging towards mass release I am at a loss for what to do when it comes to getting a good-great CPU! Ok, there are performance benchmarks which suggest the entry-level Core™ 2 Duo's will blow away all current CPU offerings, and there is talks of RRP's below $1k (is this $US?), but how long do I have to wait??? I live in Australia and I can't find any solid info as to even a speculated release date and price (in $AU)....

If I don't wait, I plan on buying the Intel® Pentium D 960 as its at the best price-performance mid point (for me locally that is). I'm not looking at any AMD based CPU's - not because of any performance / price reasons but simply because I am brand-loyal to Intel (a little lame but blah).

So, my question to you great THG readers....
Should I buy the Intel® Pentium D 960 now or wait for the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo (probably the 2.66 GHz)? :roll:
Definitely without a doubt, wait for Conroe. I think you already knew what answers to expect, if you've read any reviews. GL :) 
June 26, 2006 12:32:01 PM

A big factor for me is availability. It is expected the first Conroe CPU's will be available July 23/24 for the US, but I can't find any references as to a possible release date in Australia - that is reasonable stocks to PC builders. Where are ppl getting the 2-3 week figure from for wide-spread availabiilty in the US after the initial release? I don't think I will be able to wait until Q4.
Related resources
June 26, 2006 12:40:55 PM

Quote:
A big factor for me is availability. It is expected the first Conroe CPU's will be available July 23/24 for the US, but I can't find any references as to a possible release date in Australia - that is reasonable stocks to PC builders. Where are ppl getting the 2-3 week figure from for wide-spread availabiilty in the US after the initial release? I don't think I will be able to wait until Q4.

just wait.
What is your current setup?
June 26, 2006 12:55:26 PM

Quote:
A big factor for me is availability. It is expected the first Conroe CPU's will be available July 23/24 for the US, but I can't find any references as to a possible release date in Australia - that is reasonable stocks to PC builders. Where are ppl getting the 2-3 week figure from for wide-spread availabiilty in the US after the initial release? I don't think I will be able to wait until Q4.

just wait.
What is your current setup?

I'm looking at buying a complete new system, which atm is spec'd as (with the D 960)...
- 19" ViewSonic VP930B [if I can find one in Aus]
- Antec TX1088AMG Metallic Grey SOHO Tower Case with 480W TruePower-II PSU
- Intel BLKD975XBXLKR I975X/ATX/RAID/DDR2/GIGALAN/3xPCI-EXx16/AUDIO/SATA2/1066FSB5
- Intel Pentium D 960 - 3.6Ghz - (800FSB/LGA775/2x2M cache/Dual Core)
- HIS X1900XTX-ICEQ3-E3D Radeon X1900XTX IceQ 3 512MB 256-bit DDR3, VIVO, 2 x Dual Link DVI-I, PCI Express X16 interface
- Corsair 2GB TWIN2X2048-6400 DDR2 XMS2 PC6400 Dual Channel Kit (2x1GB, 800Mhz) [this may change pending mobo decision to support dual channel]
- Western Digital WD1500ADFD Raptor 150GB SATA 150, 16mb Cache 10,000RPM [for OS]
- Seagate ST3500630AS Baracuda 7200.10 500GB 7200rpm Serial ATAII 16mb Cache, NCQ [for storage]
- LG GSA-H10ABBK 16X +/- Dual Layer DVD Burner
- Microsoft (Black) Digital Media Pro Keyboard (BX1-00001)
- Logitech MX 1000 Laser Cordless Mouse
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional OEM 32 Bit with SP2

My current rig is...
- Viewsonic VP-191B (Black) 19" LCD
- Antec TX1050B File Server Case (Black) - 500W PSU
- Pentium 4 650 (3.4GHz) LGA 775, 2MB, 800Mhz FSB (0.09u)
- Thermaltake Big Typhoon (CL-P0114) CPU Cooler
- 2*Seagate ST3250823AS NCQ 250GB / Serial ATA / 7200 RPM / 8MB
- ABIT (LGA775) AA8XE-3RDEYE Motherboard
- 2*Corsair (VS1GBKIT533D2) Value Select DDR2 (2 x 512Mb Modules) 1GB PC-4200, 240-pin DDR2
- 2*LG (GSA-4163BBK) Black 16x +/- DVD Burner, Dual Layer
- ABIT (PCI Express) Radeon RX800 XL 256MB DDR3 with Dual DVI
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64
- Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX 6 piece speakers
- Microsoft (Black) Digital Media Pro Keyboard (BX1-00001)
- Logitech MX 1000 Laser Cordless Mouse

I have a buyer lined up for my current PC, and the longer I hold onto it the more it depreciates!
June 26, 2006 1:02:02 PM

Any C2D beats the PD 960 + at a lower price =)
June 26, 2006 1:02:53 PM

hmmmmmmmm if you have a buyer that's a different story...
well, if i were you, i would sell the current cpu, would try to borrow some spare computer from someone or something, then wait and buy a core based computer. I dont think it's worth, in terms of performance, buying a pentium-D. But if you got good prices, then it's a whole different story.
Also, if you get a good deal on the pentium-D, if you plan to go core 2 in the future you'll only have to buy a new cpu and motherboard, as you'll already have the rest of the components.

edit: you can do some research to see if the 975X chipset supports core 2... if so, you would only have to change your cpu, maybe flash your bios.
June 26, 2006 1:08:14 PM

Quote:
Any C2D beats the PD 960 + at a lower price =)


The performance does look very promising for the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo, and I'm not suggesting that the Intel® Pentium D 960 will be able to keep up with them, but the 960 should be able to power most high-end games and applications over the next 2-3 years with ease (which is the kind of lifespan I am looking at). As for the price, is this confirmed? Is there any 'real' evidence to suggest that the C2D's will be cheaper than the D 9xx's?
June 26, 2006 1:32:03 PM

Quote:
A big factor for me is availability. It is expected the first Conroe CPU's will be available July 23/24 for the US, but I can't find any references as to a possible release date in Australia - that is reasonable stocks to PC builders. Where are ppl getting the 2-3 week figure from for wide-spread availabiilty in the US after the initial release? I don't think I will be able to wait until Q4.

just wait.
What is your current setup?

I'm looking at buying a complete new system, which atm is spec'd as (with the D 960)...
- 19" ViewSonic VP930B [if I can find one in Aus]
- Antec TX1088AMG Metallic Grey SOHO Tower Case with 480W TruePower-II PSU
- Intel BLKD975XBXLKR I975X/ATX/RAID/DDR2/GIGALAN/3xPCI-EXx16/AUDIO/SATA2/1066FSB5
- Intel Pentium D 960 - 3.6Ghz - (800FSB/LGA775/2x2M cache/Dual Core)
- HIS X1900XTX-ICEQ3-E3D Radeon X1900XTX IceQ 3 512MB 256-bit DDR3, VIVO, 2 x Dual Link DVI-I, PCI Express X16 interface
- Corsair 2GB TWIN2X2048-6400 DDR2 XMS2 PC6400 Dual Channel Kit (2x1GB, 800Mhz) [this may change pending mobo decision to support dual channel]
- Western Digital WD1500ADFD Raptor 150GB SATA 150, 16mb Cache 10,000RPM [for OS]
- Seagate ST3500630AS Baracuda 7200.10 500GB 7200rpm Serial ATAII 16mb Cache, NCQ [for storage]
- LG GSA-H10ABBK 16X +/- Dual Layer DVD Burner
- Microsoft (Black) Digital Media Pro Keyboard (BX1-00001)
- Logitech MX 1000 Laser Cordless Mouse
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional OEM 32 Bit with SP2

My current rig is...
- Viewsonic VP-191B (Black) 19" LCD
- Antec TX1050B File Server Case (Black) - 500W PSU
- Pentium 4 650 (3.4GHz) LGA 775, 2MB, 800Mhz FSB (0.09u)
- Thermaltake Big Typhoon (CL-P0114) CPU Cooler
- 2*Seagate ST3250823AS NCQ 250GB / Serial ATA / 7200 RPM / 8MB
- ABIT (LGA775) AA8XE-3RDEYE Motherboard
- 2*Corsair (VS1GBKIT533D2) Value Select DDR2 (2 x 512Mb Modules) 1GB PC-4200, 240-pin DDR2
- 2*LG (GSA-4163BBK) Black 16x +/- DVD Burner, Dual Layer
- ABIT (PCI Express) Radeon RX800 XL 256MB DDR3 with Dual DVI
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64
- Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX 6 piece speakers
- Microsoft (Black) Digital Media Pro Keyboard (BX1-00001)
- Logitech MX 1000 Laser Cordless Mouse

I have a buyer lined up for my current PC, and the longer I hold onto it the more it depreciates!Well, you can always do what is by far the most popular advice in these forums lately. Get an 805D for now, and a Conroe supporting mobo, then when Conroe finally does become available to you at a decent price, make the switch. I don't think the 960 is a good purchase right now regardless.
June 26, 2006 2:03:44 PM

IIRC the E6600 costs as much as the PD 960 and the E6600 will last longer.
June 26, 2006 9:15:02 PM

I am not one for changing CPU's & mobo's after I have purchased a PC (graphics, fans, ram, hdd's etc I can handle). I think practically I could do it as I like to think I know my way around a modern PC a little bit, but I suppose I could say I have a fear of stuffing it up - plus its an expensive way to learn if I destroy a modern CPU! If I had an old PC to play with things might be different, but I don't.
!