Laptop screen remains Black/off

Nicole_51

Prominent
Jul 12, 2017
Hello all!

Yesterday afternoon I was in class taking notes on my Lenovo laptop when class ended and I shut the lid of my laptop to put it into sleep mode. When I got home in the evening I tried to get on my computer but it would not turn on. My first thought was the laptop was dead so I put it on the charger, but after a while I realized the laptop was on but the screen wasn't.

I tried pressing keys and using the touchpad to wake it up. Nothing. I then tried waking it up manually with the sleep/awake key on the keyboard and even tried turning up the brightness. When none of those ideas worked I rebooted the computer by pressing the power button but the screen still does not come on. I've also realized that when I press the caps lock and num lock keys the light does not come on for them as well.

I don't have an extra computer monitor but I did plug it up to my tv via hdmi cord to see if the screen would display that way but the tv just said "no signal".

Does anyone know what might be wrong or if this is fixable?

Update:

I tried hooking it up again to the tv and no luck. No matter what I pressed the tv continued to give me "no signal".

I do want to add that I noticed that my screen is blinking. It's still black but there is a faint flashing on it. Something I had mistook for the shadows of the ceiling fan in the room. But when I turned the fan off to check the flashing continues on the screen. It's hard to describe because there is no color, but definitely a blinking effect on it.

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Probably not a coincidence that this happens on Patch Tuesday, likely a bad Windows Update. Would recommend using your laptops Fn and screen key to cycle between External and Internal monitors, I know you said you tried hooking it up already, but if you don't cycle between the two it won't work.

Once you can see what you're doing, do a clean install of the OS. Here's a guide on how to do it:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-do-clean-installation-windows-10

If that doesn't work, it's hardware based. Which could be anything. Best bet would be to send it in to Lenovo if that's the case.

When you do get the computer back, be certain to back up your entire machine with a backup tool (i.e. Rollback Rx or Macrium Reflect)

Nicole_51

Prominent
Jul 12, 2017
Update: I tried hooking it up again to the tv and no luck. No matter what I pressed the tv continued to give me "no signal".

I do want to add that I noticed that my screen is blinking. It's still black but there is a faint flashing on it. Something I had mistook for the shadows of the ceiling fan in the room. But when I turned the fan off to check the flashing continues on the screen. It's hard to describe because there is no color, but definitely a blinking effect on it.

Nicole_51

Prominent
Jul 12, 2017

I have to unscrew and open up my laptop for that? This thing doesn't have a removable battery on the back.